Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to store comb honey (Spinoff from) "Comb honey. A journey of learning"  (Read 3639 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: How to store comb honey (Spinoff from) "Comb honey. A journey of learning"
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2022, 06:00:53 pm »
What do you guys think? Do you have a preference?

Les it is my opinion the clearer the 'whole' situation the better, including the rounds. The beauty of the comb from 'every angle' top, bottom, and sides showing the golden pure honey and comb is hard to beat.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2022, 06:48:41 pm »
What do you guys think? Do you have a preference?

Les it is my opinion the clearer the 'whole' situation the better, including the rounds. The beauty of the comb from 'every angle' top, bottom, and sides showing the golden pure honey and comb is hard to beat.

Phillip
I completely agree.  The circular one also looks nicer and more professional with the circular ross round. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2022, 08:18:21 pm »
Thanks for the feedback guys. Cost of each of those units with lids is under 30c which makes it a relatively cheap packaging option.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2022, 10:21:53 pm »
I like the round one looks much better.  I would cut around the comb and put it into the package. That way I think it would be better and you could use the frame for another batch.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 11:27:03 pm by Ben Framed »
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2022, 11:29:24 pm »
Mr MCquilkin. I added a thumbs up to your post above! I like the idea... I am thinking a special made tool with a guitar string as the cutting wire, might make easy, smooth work of this?

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2022, 01:16:19 am »
Good points from both of you. Some more lateral thinking from outside the box. There is one reason why I won?t go down that path. I came up with this idea to be a little bit different to what most people see in relation to comb honey. The feedback that I?m getting from customers revolves around two aspects. The obvious one is the positive comments in relation to the comb honey itself. It?s appearance, flavour and the nature of a natural, unprocessed product. The second point relates to the presentation of the product. People love the timber frames and the story behind how it is made. (By the bees) People who have bought it do so for themselves or for gifts. I understand where you guys are coming from. There is a time element that would turn quite a few people off.  I actually make them very quickly now. The timber costs me nothing as I use off cuts. Each little task only takes a few minutes but it is spread out over a number of days. That doesn?t worry me as I am normally working on other things like making frames, wiring frames, cleaning up boxes etc. I just stop what I?m doing for a couple of minutes to complete one phase of making the rounds. I then get back to the initial task I was working on.  Producing honey is still the number one focus. Comb honey is just a way of value adding and providing the customer with alternatives. I have found that people who come to my house to buy comb honey, quite often buy some jars of honey as well. The reverse is also the case. This little venture has increased sales considerably over the past couple of months.

Cheers

Les

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2022, 02:30:13 am »
Les I appreciate your detailed answer and clear explanation of why you chose to stay with this plan. The customers appreciation of the wood round is the bottom line. Being the rounds are easy and fast for you to make is even more reason to proceed as your are sailing with the wind in your sails, so to speak. I am taking in your words of experience along with your input of this method with respect and appreciation. I confess I am partial to the clear (everything) as a personal preference. The customers satisfaction is number one and you have accomplished that feat. Keep up the good work!

Phillip

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2022, 02:51:19 am »
I think that both methods have merit and are worthy of consideration. Brian?s idea is very good as you would only need one set of wooden rounds per frame. The idea of cutting them out and packaging them is a great idea. If a good cut out technique is developed, the comb could be removed and the whole frame could be put back onto the hive in the same day with no other work needing to be done.  No waste and minimal effort. I?m sorry that I didn?t take the time to respond to that side of the argument. I think quite a few people would show a preference for this approach.  I hope no offence is taken Brian. Well done and keep the ideas coming in.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2022, 03:13:32 am »
Well as they say, there is more than one way to skin a cat! lol..  Mr MCquilkins idea I liked and still do. But the bottom line is what works best for you and your customer. Remembering, we are on the outside looking in. You are in the middle working your way through these experiments. I do not want to discourage you, on the contrary. I wish to encourage you, and I feel safe in thinking Mr MCquilkin does too.
We at beemaster, who are keeping up with your experiments, are learning from your dedication, as you put your ideas into action, while you are achieving successful accomplishments.  👍🏻

Phillip

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2022, 04:16:03 am »
Great information from everyone, this how we learn different things is from each other, no offense taken here.
If the customers love the wood and it gives you an edge on selling your product that's great. This year at the farmers market I will be selling comb honey in a jar. I'm thinking about taking some small queen cages with some drones in them to give to the kids.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2022, 11:17:17 am »
Great information from everyone, this how we learn different things is from each other, no offense taken here.
If the customers love the wood and it gives you an edge on selling your product that's great. This year at the farmers market I will be selling comb honey in a jar. I'm thinking about taking some small queen cages with some drones in them to give to the kids.

What a fantastic idea!  Drones are the unsung heroes of bee ambassadorship, since they are disposable and can't sting.  I catch drones and give them to the kids in my family to play with all the time.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2022, 04:40:27 pm »
I agree. It?s important that we can educate people (especially kids) on the role that bees undertake in the environment. Kids are also our future (and present) customers. Once they try raw, natural, unprocessed honey, they never want to go back to the store bought stuff.

Are you going to sell chunk honey in a jar or are you planning to get the bees to draw comb in the jar? Either way, I?d be interested in any feedback that you get. I?ve been selling a bit of chunk honey. It was popular just before Christmas but sales have slowed up a bit now. Just selling the odd one now.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2022, 11:29:59 pm »
Are you going to sell chunk honey in a jar or are you planning to get the bees to draw comb in the jar? Either way, I?d be interested in any feedback that you get. I?ve been selling a bit of chunk honey. It was popular just before Christmas but sales have slowed up a bit now. Just selling the odd one now.
Planning to have bees draw out the jars, will give an update when they start drawing it out.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2022, 06:57:45 am »
Looking forward to seeing your technique.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2022, 05:22:17 pm »
Im trying that this year also Brian. My granddaughter is very excited about it. Are you planning on putting thin surplus as starter or just melted wax? Im also trying to decide if we want a queenless hive or not. Thats a lot of comb to build in jars. IDK, just thinking out loud.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2022, 03:39:45 am »
Im trying that this year also Brian. My granddaughter is very excited about it. Are you planning on putting thin surplus as starter or just melted wax? Im also trying to decide if we want a queenless hive or not. Thats a lot of comb to build in jars. IDK, just thinking out loud.
I'm planing on using wax foundation in the jars and having the bees draw it out

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2022, 03:47:04 am »
Hi Brian. That?s what is showing up as the best option at this point in time. With a heavy flow, I don?t think it would matter. I will give an update of my jars experiment in a day or so.

Offline loisl58

• New Bee
Wish I had the skills to give your ideas a try your ideas.
I am enjoying this discussion. . Keep it coming.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk