Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: ?Whipped? Honey  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
?Whipped? Honey
« on: September 27, 2021, 05:50:48 pm »
I know the term whipped, creamed, spun, etc.  all refer to the same thing.  A controlled crystallization of honey.

We had a little mishap the other day with our extractor.  One of the frames had slipped and a corner ended up below the surface of the honey for a few minutes.  It ended up ?whipping? the honey to a white cream look.  I?m assuming this is just air and will eventually work it?s way to the surface.  It?s been about three days since this happened and it hasn?t changed much.

Any thoughts?
You are what you think.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: ?Whipped? Honey
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 08:46:21 pm »
Aroc,
One way to speed up restoring the foam to honey to straight honey is to heat it to 100 degrees.
It will greatly speed it up.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
?Whipped? Honey
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 10:42:20 pm »
First off ?.  Whipped creamed spun etc are NOT the same things.  Not remotely.
Now that is straightened;  to clarify your whipped honey you will need to heat it to 115-125F range and leave to settle in a tank for 24-36 hrs at that temperature.  The time will depend on the depth of your tank. Then skim the foam off the top. The honey below the foam will be clear.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 01:04:32 am »
First off ?.  Whipped creamed spun etc are NOT the same things.  Not remotely.

Everything I?ve read has said it?s all basically the same thing....just different names related to the same process of a controlled crystallization.

Guess it doesn?t really matter so long as what I?m referring to in this post is understood it wasn?t created by crystallization but rather a slight accident in the extractor...:)
You are what you think.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 03:22:06 pm »
My wife likes the "whipped only" honey. She adds flavoring to it in the mixer and uses it for a spread.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 08:34:31 pm »
They are not the same , totally different.
Creamed honey is basically candied honey with super fine crystals. It is made by warming honey to remove all crystals that may be present.
You then add 10% of creamed honey to provide the pattern for the candy process, you need to retain some to make your next batch, mix it thoroughly and put into containers, we use 500g and is left for 4-6 weeks to candy. It is hard to make in warm weather and so is a winter project.
It sells at our markets for $10 for 500g. Good way to value add your honey.
Whipped honey is made by warming honey to about 35c and then you set the kitchen beater so it is beating just the surface, after an hour or so you have white whipped honey. Thicker honey holds the air better. Due to the air we can only fit about 450g in our containers.
It has a shelf life of about 3 weeks in cool weather. We don't sell it in summer as it comes out of whip to quick.
It also sells for $10 at markets

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 10:18:52 pm »
Nice explanation Oldbeavo!

What is 'set honey'? Have run across this term twice now on Bee-L with no explanation of what it is. Just today "pack set, or soft-set, honey" again no definition.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2021, 01:07:51 am »
Our creamed honey is pot set or pack set, as it forms in the container it is sold in.
You can see a pale top to the pot set creamed honey,

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2021, 07:25:47 am »
Thank you, think I understand it now.

BTW this forum needs a 'Thumbs up' button.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2021, 09:13:36 am »
William,
Just use your smileys on your iPhone.
👍
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2021, 09:19:26 am »
William,
👍

Yes and or (Emoji & Symbols) on your computer. 👍
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2021, 09:58:35 pm »
William,
👍

Mageia Linux desk top here, no iPhone.

But my intent was not a thumbs up in a post, if I could tag his reply to me with a built in thumbs up then no second reply by me would be necessary. Oldbeavo would get a notification and know I had read his reply. No one else would be bothered by a useless post. 

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2021, 11:05:05 pm »
Thank you, think I understand it now.

BTW this forum needs a 'Thumbs up' button.
William,
👍

Mageia Linux desk top here, no iPhone.

But my intent was not a thumbs up in a post, if I could tag his reply to me with a built in thumbs up then no second reply by me would be necessary. Oldbeavo would get a notification and know I had read his reply. No one else would be bothered by a useless post. 
I totally agree, William.  We could save a lot of thread space if we had a like button.  Then we wouldn't have to write a post with just, "I agree", or "x2" or only the word "Like" to show we agree with someone.  Sort of like I'm doing right now!  :cheesy: 

Also emojis only render if you are using the same OS.  So for example, I almost always use my Windows laptop to look at Beemaster, and I can't see about 60% of the Apple emojis.  And on my iPod touch, I can't see HP's, because he apparently uses Windows.  :happy:         
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2021, 11:52:04 pm »
Member, William. On the left side of the following , below. (not pictured {here}), you should see a page. Tap on it and it will give you the option of thumbs up or down along with several other options to choose from.

I hope this helps.

Phillip

Example:

{Here} Re: ?Whipped? Honey
? Reply #12 on: Today at 11:05:05 pm ?
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2021, 09:27:08 am »

Also emojis only render if you are using the same OS.  So for example, I almost always use my Windows laptop to look at Beemaster, and I can't see about 60% of the Apple emojis.  And on my iPod touch, I can't see HP's, because he apparently uses Windows.  :happy:         

The built in  emojis all display correctly for me. Can see a whole row of them above the compose screen.  :cool: When someone pastes them in from other sources, sometimes they display and sometimes they show as squares with an X inside.  BeeMaster2's thumbs up works, but is much smaller than the built in emojis.

Another oddity.  Emojis and Beemaster are both flagged as spelling errors as I type. Untill I right click and select 'check spelling' then the red squiggle underline goes away. Guessing the former is the fourms spell check and the later my own.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2021, 09:37:55 am »

The built in  emojis all display correctly for me. Can see a whole row of them above the compose screen.  :cool: When someone pastes them in from other sources, sometimes they display and sometimes they show as squares with an X inside.  BeeMaster2's thumbs up works, but is much smaller than the built in emojis.

Another oddity.  Emojis and Beemaster are both flagged as spelling errors as I type. Untill I right click and select 'check spelling' then the red squiggle underline goes away. Guessing the former is the fourms spell check and the later my own.

William when you add your own emojis you can up the size by choosing >font size< and selecting the size you wish for example
👍   👍  👍 👍

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2021, 10:12:58 pm »
William when you add your own emojis you can up the size by choosing >font size< and selecting the size you wish for example
👍   👍  👍 👍

Huh, ya learn something everyday...  ;).  :cool:        :cool:        :cool:        :cool:        :cool:

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2021, 10:59:37 pm »
👍   👍  👍 👍

Huh, ya learn something everyday...  ;).  :cool:        :cool:        :cool:        :cool:        :cool:

:shocked: does not even begin to describe my face right now!     :shocked: :wink: :cheesy:  Seriously, it pays to see what each button does!
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2021, 12:57:27 am »
👍   👍  👍 👍

Thanks Jurassic....  :happy:

anything