Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help!! Newbee- what am I doing?  (Read 1204 times)

Offline memoe_madi

• New Bee
Help!! Newbee- what am I doing?
« on: September 25, 2021, 03:51:03 am »
Hey guys,
I?m brand mew to beekeeping (as in. A fortnight in). I had planned to pick up a nuc from a local farm and then a little swarm landed in my neighbours backyard.. what luck! Or so I thought.
Anyway - got them home and settled. First hive inspection after seven days - couldn?t find the queen. Thought maybe I had lost her in the swarm capture (it was messy - it was my first). I ordered a new one online preemptively.
Today, I opened the hive for a second inspection and Lo and behold - eggs, eggs everywhere! I still can?t find that darneded queen. My inspection of the brood (or what I think is brood?!) has be worried though. In images from online it looks powdery and well capped - mine looks sunken and blood streaked. Could it be foulbrood or am I just a stressy first time bee Mum?? Would love some assistance! Pic attached.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Help!! Newbee- what am I doing?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 05:34:59 am »
Welcome to Beemaster.
It is hard to tell with this picture but all I can see is nectar and some pollen.
Do you have another picture?
When doing your inspection, look for eggs and larvae. If You find them, stop the inspection, your queen is good.
I would bet you have a secondary swarm which means you have a new queen who mated after she moved into your hive.
The chances of having AFB on brand new comb and a new swarm are extremely low. It rarely happens the first year. Relax and enjoy your bees.
Jim Altmiller free r
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline memoe_madi

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 07:28:38 am »
Hey, thanks I really appreciate the reply. I managed to locate loads of eggs (I think - see the small broken piece of virgin comb) but I can?t find any larvae (to my untrained eye). What are the darker cells that look like they have blood in them? I?m sorry if I sound like a noob! I just want to do what?s right for my little swarm.

Offline mark

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 10:46:31 am »
her abdomen may still be small making her hard to see.  she will have brown legs while the workers legs are black.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 12:51:34 pm »
Hi memoe madi, welcome to Beemaster!  :smile: 

As Jim mentioned, that first picture looks like nectar and pollen to me.  The picture is a little small to see clearly (the file size limit here is frustrating, I know), but I think the darker stuff in the cells is either pollen or a darker-colored nectar.  The nectar will off course be liquid, and pollen will be sort of a chalky substance that the bees have packed into the cells, and both the nectar and pollen come in a variety of colors depending on the flowers the bees are visiting.

I believe I do see eggs in that small piece of white comb, which confirms you have a laying queen.  But, if like Jim mentioned, your queen is newly laying, you may not see much hatched brood or any capped brood yet.  It takes 3 days for the eggs to hatch.  After they do, the larvae, which look like little bright white grubs who sit in the cells in a C-shape, will grow until they fill up the cell, which will take about a week.  At that point the workers will cap them over with wax so they can pupate and turn into adult bees. 

I know it's hard when you first get bees, but try not to inspect them too much, no more than once a week.  They need time to work and get the colony built up, and every time you open them up, they have an interruption to their work. 

I also just noticed something else, taking a closer look at your pictures.  You will want to remove that extra piece of rogue comb that has been drawn on that frame.  Bees will maintain a 9mm gap between their combs, we call this "bee space", which means that every comb they draw next to this frame will continue to be crooked all the way down the line.  Off-center or cross-connected combs will make inspections difficult and lead you to damage the comb every time you pull the frame, so best to correct this now, while they are in a drawing mood.

Good luck with your new girls, and keep on asking any questions you have.  We are happy to answer them!  :happy: 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 07:04:20 pm by The15thMember »
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 05:27:02 pm »
Based on density of bees there - could be they are keeping brood warm, and can only cover a small amount until more bees hatch?  I don't know your outdoor temps.  Is it still winter in Aus?

The dark spots could be cocoons in new wax.  The brood leaves a papery cocoon, and darkens the cell.

Keep feeding, remember 60 mg of zinc per kilo of sugar for proper larval development.  Don't brew syrup hotter than 150 F to avoid HMF forming.  Feed 2:1 water:non-GMO sugar for brood development, and because you're going into spring.  They will feed the brood and make more bees - but only as much brood as the current group of bees can manage right now.  It will increase as more bees hatch. 

If they have extra time after feeding brood they'll build comb, but only as much as they can guard.  They have goof instincts.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 06:08:27 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster!  :smile:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline memoe_madi

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2021, 08:17:49 pm »
Thanks for the support guys! Seriously appreciate it. I have been sticking to one inspection a week  byo leave them in peace- I?ll remove the rogue comb when I go down next week. So hard to not go down and check them every day- they are just so fascinating!  Thanks We are going into spring here but the nights are still quite cool so that would make sense.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 12:19:27 am »
memoe_madi
"hard to not go down and check them every day- they are just so fascinating!"

I know what you mean. I have been at it since spring 2018 when I obtained my first bees and I still love going in! My initial goal was 7 hives so I could go in once a day as it was recommended to me to go in no more than 7 days from each previous time. Now I have several, and still enjoy checking them out. lol  That's why we are here, for the love of bees sharing and caring.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything