Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: News from our friends down under  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Universal Bee
Re: News from our friends down under
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2021, 10:30:21 pm »
What he stands for is a clear indication of racism not a standard for good behavior.

I don't disagree with you.  If the cop had been anything other than white, he would not have been convicted of murder...although the way many blacks hate Asians, an Asian might have been convicted of murder.  If we had not had all the BLM and Antifa stuff scaring the crap out of the system, the cop would not have been convicted of murder.  He would not have been charged with murder which many legal people thougt was an overcharge.
At a time the rest of us could not attend our grandparents funerals or gather in church, Floyd had a huge funeral with many dignitaries and a horse-drawn herse. 

So yes, there is racism involved.  At best, manslaughter or the usual punishment, if it was to be severe, would be dismissal from the force.  This went to the extreme in punishment because of the social climate, not the actions of the cop on Floyd or those watching. 

I am not saying anyone made the case that Floyd was a good guy.  They did all that they did when he died in spite of his past behavior and the behavior that brought him into contact with the police the last time.  They upheld a criminal as a saint without comment on what he really was..

Guess it doesn't matter now.  We have decided that we are not going to be a united nation.  We are going to have separate everything according to race.  I heard someone say today that BLM and Co. have achieved exactly what the KKK and white supremicists wanted.  God bless the progressives... or maybe YOUR god can bless them.  I don't know that we have the same god. 
They are so divorced from their own interests that even when their own security and that of their children is finally compromised, they do not seek to avert the danger themselves but cross their arms and wait for the nation as a whole to come to their aid. Yet as utterly as they sacrifice their own free will, they are no fonder of obedience than anyone else. They submit, it is true, to the whims of a clerk, but no sooner is force removed than they are glad to defy the law as a defeated enemy. Thus one finds them ever wavering between servitude and license.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline gww

• Queen Bee
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2021, 01:59:43 am »
The cop was showing the whole neighbor hood, including an 11 year old, who was boss and he got what he earned. 
Cheers
gww

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2021, 08:19:08 am »
They upheld a criminal as a saint without comment on what he really was..
You have no clue what it takes to be declared a saint.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2021, 10:25:55 am »
I have no words for these scenes out of Australia.  They get worse as you scroll down.

https://citizenfreepress.com/breaking/brutal-videos-from-australia-mother-arrested-in-front-of-children/

Offline Kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2021, 12:12:41 pm »
I have no words for these scenes out of Australia.  They get worse as you scroll down.

I completely support people protesting government overreach.  If we allow our governments to do as they are doing in the name of this emergency, they will continue.  My governor has continued her emergency powers and rules outside our state constitution.  In a sane world, she'd be booted out of office.  In this world, people are going around praising her lawlessness because she's "keeping us safe". 

When you habituate a population to following illegal orders, and taking your freedom in the name of keeping you safe, you are done as a free people.

but remember, the press makes things look worse than they are, most of the time.  The exceptions are Antifa and BLM riots in which case they can stand in front of burning buildings and talk about mostly peaceful protests   :wink:
They are so divorced from their own interests that even when their own security and that of their children is finally compromised, they do not seek to avert the danger themselves but cross their arms and wait for the nation as a whole to come to their aid. Yet as utterly as they sacrifice their own free will, they are no fonder of obedience than anyone else. They submit, it is true, to the whims of a clerk, but no sooner is force removed than they are glad to defy the law as a defeated enemy. Thus one finds them ever wavering between servitude and license.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2021, 03:09:46 pm »
Kathyp
I completely support people protesting government overreach.  If we allow our governments to do as they are doing in the name of this emergency, they will continue.  My governor has continued her emergency powers and rules outside our state constitution.  In a sane world, she'd be booted out of office.  In this world, people are going around praising her lawlessness because she's "keeping us safe".

When you habituate a population to following illegal orders, and taking your freedom in the name of keeping you safe, you are done as a free people.

but remember, the press makes things look worse than they are, most of the time.  The exceptions are Antifa and BLM riots in which case they can stand in front of burning buildings and talk about mostly peaceful protests   :wink:

As an American, lawful assembly is guaranteed in our Constitution. I agree with you as per our constitutional law here in America as we are guaranteed such rights.
I for one, do not know what the law, or laws are in Australia. The happenings there in Australia may very well be within the bounds of their constitution without overreach? I would not think so but as I said, I for one do not know..

I do know, lack of law and order, which allowed rioters to commit unlawful acts and destruction as per the riots you mentioned above, a solid example of complete lack of law and order here in America during that time, along with a clear negligence of keeping law and order by the officials in charge at those places was displayed, demonstrated, and exemplified.. Law and order must be kept and balanced; 'but within the bounds of overreach' as you state Kathy.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 04:37:32 pm by Ben Framed »
For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Offline Kathyp

• Universal Bee
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline Geoff

• Field Bee
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2021, 07:31:12 pm »
  This morning news, our state premier who a week or so ago presented us with the Road Map out of this mess we have scored an Australian one day record of over 2000 new Covid cases  !  !   All at the same time his party is dealing with branch stackings for protected candidates.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2021, 12:20:17 am »
Geoff,
I have news for you.  More to your government.
Covid will be with us forever.  Just like all the other Covid.
See your pre 2018 can of Lysol.  It kills covid.  Dead.
J

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2021, 03:01:33 pm »
National News | Breaking National News and ... - Courier Mail
Search domain couriermail.com.auhttps://www.couriermail.com.au ? news ? national
If you are fully vaccinated against Covid the next step to improve your immunity may be to actually catch the virus.

Hum........   :shocked:
For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Offline Geoff

• Field Bee
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2021, 07:42:17 pm »

Friday update.. Number of cases are now ten times what they were a week ago and deaths have also escalated so where is our premiers' great Road Map leading the community ?  ?

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2021, 11:34:57 pm »
Keep in mind Geoff is in Victoria and is not a direct reflection of our entire country.
As I have said previously my state, WA, has no restrictions within the state only people entering the state. Our unemployment figures are the lowest in the country and our economy is booming on much so that tradesmen are in high demand and training centres are booked out.
Our Premier has said that we will observe the other states opening, assess and make decisions from there and restrictions will likely be reintroduced once borders are opened.
Vaccines, although not compulsory are becoming mandatory for most industries, the mining sector will not employ unvaccinated workers from January next year, both blue and white collars. The precedence has been set??.
Hopefully NSW, ACT and Victoria can move forward safely and the new normal life can resume. Our thoughts are with them.
On the plus side, from reports, Jarrah is flowering profusely down South so am prepping for a bumper year.
:)

Offline Kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2021, 11:32:52 am »
  Friday update.. Number of cases are now ten times what they were a week ago and deaths have also escalated so where is our premiers' great Road Map leading the community

There is no road map.  :wink:
By the time any country other than China knew there was a problem, it was too late. Even if we had known earlier, I don't know that it would have made any difference.  Vaccines will help.  New anti-virals will help.  The road to the end is through the middle, and onward.  There is no stopping or controlling the thing. 
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2021, 08:55:20 am »
Stopping would require a totalitarian state.  Controlling would require cooperation from the general public.  The economic stress we are feeling today is mostly due to the general public.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2021, 12:40:37 pm »
Stopping would require a totalitarian state.  Controlling would require cooperation from the general public.  The economic stress we are feeling today is mostly due to the general public.

Then China should have been able to stop it, shouldn't they?
What do you think the general public ought to be doing that they are not? Things that would make a difference, not just feel good stuff?

The economic stress we are feeling is due to bad policy.  To the extent that the public is responsible for putting those in office who force bad, and often illegal policy on us, then yes, the public is responsible. 
Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline NigelP

• New Bee
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2021, 03:16:37 pm »
Hate to get drawn into topics outside beekeeping but...... this has been situation that no-one (or country) was fully prepared for.
There have been many mistakes made and many successes.
Difficult to judge all of them as situation is still currently active.
All I know is many people  KNOW what should have been done...but only with the benefit of hindsight.
If only I knew what the national lottery number were before they drew it......

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2021, 09:08:42 am »

They did.

The economic stress we are feeling is due to bad policy.
For sure, from republican Trump supporters and wannabes.  Biden's mandatory vaccines is working.  Too bad republicans stalled the recovery and the economy has taken the hit.  The only thing hurting China is that they are tied to our economy.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2021, 12:26:21 pm »
All I know is many people  KNOW what should have been done...but only with the benefit of hindsight.
If only I knew what the national lottery number were before they drew it......

Lol.  As do we all.

my issue is not that we didn't know and are still trying to figure things out.  My issues are 1. In the USA we have 3 big agencies who's job it is to be prepared and disseminate info/advice as they learn stuff.  All 3 failed to be prepared.  All 3 failed to disseminate info as they learned things, or to just tell us that they didn't know stuff.  One may have even contributed to the funding of the research that caused this.

USAMRIID is military so that they are quiet is not a surprise.  CDC (centers for disease control) is self explanatory and has been a big fail.  NIH needs a house cleaning starting at the top.

My biggest complaint in this country is that we fail to adapt to new info.  My state, as an example, is back to mask mandates.  Masks don't work for the general public for a number of reasons.  We are back to shutting down classrooms if a kid tests positive for covid.  That's stupid and unnecessary. 
Stuff like that makes me crazy.  It also makes people feel like they are doing something and lets pols say that they did something.  Feelings over facts.  There is never a good outcome when you oporate like that.

They did.

They did not and they have not.  They sure tried.  They welded people into their apartment buildings and stuff like that.  Didn't work.  Do you think we would have had better luck if we'd tried welding doors shut and leaving people to die?  This is your vision of a better future?

For sure, from republican Trump supporters and wannabes.  Biden's mandatory vaccines is working.  Too bad republicans stalled the recovery and the economy has taken the hit.  The only thing hurting China is that they are tied to our economy.

Lol.  You are obviously not an economist and we already know you use bad sources of info, so...Yup, go on and keep screaming about how TRUMP DID IT!

Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline Geoff

• Field Bee
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2021, 07:44:42 pm »

Interesting times ahead. The reports in our state today is 1903 new cases and 7 deaths to be followed up by throwing a lot of doors open at midnight on Thursday which I believe will keep this thread open for a while yet.
        The contrast is that when there were 5 or 6 cases we had immediate shutdowns of 3, 7,  or 14 days duration depending on which way the figures run. My thoughts are with the hospitals and their staff as surely the numbers of cases will rise sharply and the treatment of covid cases is very demanding taking attention away from other patients with urgent medical needs.
         Probably like myself most people have been confused by the facts, figures and rules coming out of the 8 states and territories which appear to be all different to one another including border closures between states and regions within the states.
         The figures I find the most deceiving are in our state of Victoria where our aim is to have 70 or 80 % of the eligible population fully vaccinated but that does not account for the under 16?s which account for about 20 % of people in the state.
        An aside to our problems are the reports from Russia of 30,000 cases a day and hundreds of deaths.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 08:22:04 pm by Geoff »

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • No longer keeping bees
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2021, 08:27:46 am »
        An aside to our problems are the reports from Russia of 30,000 cases a day and hundreds of deaths.
Pandemics like famine are a way of reducing the poor population in the world.
The US is at an advantage ... we can always import the poor rather quickly as our economy ramps up.  Countries like Russia and China can't do that.  China is trying to do that with birth rate.  But this is very slow.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it