Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Will bees defend their hive with one bee space, after being robbed?  (Read 1340 times)

Offline erbs honey

• House Bee
After one of my hives' being robbed, I closed the hive up for a couple of days, so any robbers still in the hive could be assimilated.  I opened them up this morning, giving them only one bee space.  There were robbers outside again, and it seemed that hive residents were letting bare bee butts inside the hive.  Do bees that were being robbed also have bare butts?  WILL the hive defend itself if they have ONE bee space??  Thank you.
When you come to a fork in the road.....take it.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Will bees defend their hive with one bee space, after being robbed?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 05:12:58 pm »
What exactly do you mean by "bare butts"?  Do you mean bees that have had their hair rubbed off from fighting?  In my experience most strong colonies can easily defend one bee space, but a weak colony may not be able to, especially if the robbers already know how to get in.  How strong is the colony?   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline erbs honey

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 05:16:03 pm »
Yes, that is what I meant.  This hive was fairly strong.  I think I will go check on them now and put a wet towel over the hive.
When you come to a fork in the road.....take it.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 05:37:10 pm »
Have you tried a robbing screen for this colony?  I use them regularly on my hives this time of year, and they really help to keep robbers from learning the entrance.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 09:14:26 am »
The drawback from having calm bees is that they are a potential for being robbed by aggressive bees.  Usually if you notice robbing it is too late.  The aggressors know that the hive is weak and the queen might already be dead.  It might be better to do combines rather than try to stop robbing.  It is one of those tough bee keeping decisions.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 02:46:59 pm »
It's a case of "move it or lose it."

Take it temporarily to a friends' house at least 5 miles away.
Add a bar of capped stores if you have it.
Put on a robbing screen.  The best $8 you can spend.
Make sure they have water source.

I had a colony robbed out... only 300 bees and a queen were left....

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 10:38:17 pm »
Every hive has it's own response to robbing.  For the most part it's a bad situation that probably won't be fixed no matter what you do, but if you compress them (remove all the empty space) and reduce the entrance to nothing for long enough for the frenzy to quit.  And then open up just enough of an entrance for one bee at a time, they MIGHT get on their feet.  But probably not...
http://bushfarms.com/beesrobbing.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin