Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Plastic frames VS Wood frames  (Read 19920 times)

Offline Redbug

• New Bee
Re: Plastic frames VS Wood frames
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 12:05:05 pm »
when someone tells you dont put plastic in your solar wax melter you should believe them.  glad my melter only held 1/2 doz

That's funny!
Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2014, 01:24:36 am »
wood and wax for me. Thats how I started and will stick to it. bought a nuc once with plastic frames/foundation. bees barely drew i out, tossed it when I lost them.
Just a beek trying to get ready for winter.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2014, 07:19:45 pm »
Less room for small hive beetle to hide

I vote wooden ware

jay

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2021, 02:19:09 pm »
I do not recognize most of these folks from only 7 years ago right off hand except Michael Bush and JoeD. The discussion was interesting. What do you use?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2021, 09:43:24 pm »
Wood and starter strips, I have a handful of plastic frames and a couple of supers of plastic foundation, I interspersed them in between the starter strips. Right now all drawn.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Plastic frames VS Wood frames
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2021, 10:46:10 pm »
Current to date posted:
I like one piece plastic (Acorn) in the brood nest.  However, I have no SHB here to be concerned about.
2nd runner up is wood frame with plastic sheet foundation. What I hate about these is the amount of burr comb nubbings made between the wood top bars.  It is ridiculous and an extreme hazard to rolling and mushing queens.
If I had to go back to wood-wire-wax foundation type I would quite, retire. I?d rather jab a red hot steel nail onto my eyeball. Good for bees but far too many handling and processing issues in the beekeepers wheelhouse.
For a long lang setup, where the top bars are tight together, personally I would most likely go wood bars/frame and the plastic sheet foundation.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2021, 08:07:56 am »
Wood and starter strips, I have a handful of plastic frames and a couple of supers of plastic foundation, I interspersed them in between the starter strips. Right now all drawn.
Rast,
Don?t mix plastic and foundation in the same super. The bees usually just draw the foundation less and not the plastic. If you put all plastic, they will draw it.
Once they are drawn, then you can mix frames any which way.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2022, 06:39:49 pm »
Im going to add something about the plastic frames.
I bought some from one of the big box stores because it had small cell. The beatles love them. It is actually crazy how many beatles can be forced into the trenches in the ears.

Hope they wear out soon.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin