ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > GARDENING AROUND THE HOUSE

Beeyard weed control

(1/3) > >>

Rabbitdog:
I am thinking about carpeting my main beeyard this month.  I've seen some great pictures of how carpet keeps the weeds down.  Any idea how long it might last before it becomes more of an eyesore than the weeds?
Also, what is the best material to use to keep your hives off the ground?  I use cinder blocks and milk crates but am considering building a rack out of treated wood.  Any thoughts?

P.S. sorry for all of the questions but I guess that's why there is a forum.  I just wish I could contribute somehow (just ask something about apple trees, I dare ya). :D

Jay:
Throw some landscaping cloth and then some wood chips down, you'll never have to worry about replacing when it gets ratty.

Cinder blocks are great and portable if you ever decide to move your hive location. Treated lumber is fine if you decide you've found your permanent home.

Lesli:
I used landscaping cloth, and it worked great. I'll put down chips this year to make it all even prettier. :)

Horns Pure Honey:
I am putting down garden cloth and wood chips and then are hives are going to be on custome built hive stands. bye :D

Anonymous:
I know people who use carpet and it seems to last them a copule years depending on how dry or wet the years are. They always have some more throwen out they pick up to put down when it starts to look bad.
I use wood chips (Cypress) over the plastic vapor barrier and have my hives set on a home made stand built with land scaping timbers and treated 2'x6'x8'.

Summer

Winter

:D Al

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version