Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Found Torn down queen cells  (Read 3023 times)

Offline BurleyBee

• House Bee
Found Torn down queen cells
« on: November 13, 2021, 09:18:28 am »
Was topping off hives with 2:1 yesterday and came across a single that had 6 or so QC that had been torn open from the side.  I didn?t see any eggs/Larvae; just some capped brood that?s yet to hatch.  I guess there is a virgin running around?  No way she gets mated this late right?  I reckon I?ll leave them alone a couple weeks and check again. 
@burleybeeyard

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Found Torn down queen cells
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 09:29:13 am »
Burley,
It is possible you still have drones, I saw one in my hive at my farm last week. I was really surprised.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BurleyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 09:32:30 am »
Yeah I?ve seen a few still.  Maybe she?ll get mated.  I guess In a couple weeks if I don?t see eggs I could just paper combine with another single.
@burleybeeyard

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2021, 10:49:43 am »
It will probably work out since drones are still present in your area, provided she makes it back safely from her mating flights.  For curiosity, what time period had it been since the last time you was in this hive, before this inspection? In other words how much time was in between the past two inspections?

« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 01:19:27 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BurleyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2021, 06:51:05 pm »
2 maybe 3 weeks.  Didn?t see her last but had some eggs.  Maybe I rolled her looking.
@burleybeeyard

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2021, 08:34:31 pm »
I bet you was careful. Most likely nature taking it course.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 04:27:38 pm »
If it is that late in the season and you are feeding 2:1 then i wonder if there is enough stimulation for a queen to lay.
Some of our queens stop laying in winter and shrink down which makes them hard to find.
Give the hive a couple of weeks then go looking for a queen or if the bees are polishing a small area that they are not storing syrup in.
Most of the time the bees sort it out. Humans hit the panic button too quickly.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2021, 01:52:08 pm »
Burley, How has this played out? Was you hive successful in its natural recovery effort?

Offline BurleyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2021, 02:50:05 pm »
I just checked.  Definitely queenless.  What do y?all think?  Paper combine with another hive?  I have 5 really strong double deeps and one single hive that has 2 queens.
@burleybeeyard

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2021, 03:09:23 pm »
I am sorry to hear that Burley. Since we posters here on this topic were talking about it, The weather has changed significantly in my area. Though we are both located in Mississippi I am in a completely different zone than you being I am further North than yourself. I was hoping things would hold out and your New virgin would have had time to mate and come home sucessfully.

I just checked.  Definitely queenless.  What do y?all think?  Paper combine with another hive?  I have 5 really strong double deeps and one single hive that has 2 queens.

That gives you at least two options for sure. (If this hive is still strong with bees), You could take one of the queens as a resource and attempt introducing her to the queenless hive. But keep in mind, one of these double queened hives is most likely set to be a supersede situation. It's a gamble as to whether both queens will survive until spring. (One may be old and on her way our naturally). The older established queen may be old and failing? But if she can last until spring you are ahead if she is still a layer. That option, (gamble), is the one I personally would take. (Requeen the queenless hive with the extra resource queen). Let me stress, I am not recommending you do this. The odds are strongly against you, I'm just letting you know what I would do, not being afraid to make that gamble while experimenting. Or you could do as you stated, a combination. Either way, make sure they have not entered the laying worker step. In that case just take them away form the other hives and shake them out. The good girls will beg their way into another hive.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 03:42:04 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline BurleyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2021, 04:04:33 pm »
I don?t really have any faith in one of those queens though. 
@burleybeeyard

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2021, 04:12:49 pm »
I don?t really have any faith in one of those queens though.

In that case the combo might be your best bet. I would like to hear what Jim or Oldbeave, which posted before has to offer, they may have other options that we have missed. Or for that matter new posters to this topic, may have some good input to offer..

Phillip

« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 04:40:06 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline BurleyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2021, 02:01:09 pm »
Drove the hive up to my camp where I keep most my hives.  Was going to do a paper combine with another hive.  Figured I?d give them one more look to make sure.  I?m blown away.  Makes up for not seeing any deer this morning.

@burleybeeyard

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2021, 02:22:47 pm »
Burley, How has this played out? Was you hive successful in its natural recovery effort?

Good Burley! Im glad it worked out for you after all!! Awesome!!

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2021, 02:45:56 pm »
Burley you are several miles South of me. (hundreds)

I am curious, are you still seeing drones?

Offline BurleyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2021, 02:52:11 pm »
I haven?t seen Drones lately.  That?s why I was so shocked I ended up with a laying queen.
@burleybeeyard

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2021, 02:56:16 pm »
Congratulations! What a good shock go have. We all need that kind of unexpected upswing in things form time to time. This was your day!

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2021, 10:17:47 pm »
Check back later and see if any of the new eggs turn into worker or drone brood. I had a late queen this year come back unmated and laid up several frames of drone brood. She got the boot and I combined them with another hive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BurleyBee

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2021, 03:11:57 pm »
Thanks.  I didn?t think about that being a possibility. 
@burleybeeyard

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2021, 03:15:06 pm »
Thanks.  I didn?t think about that being a possibility.
I should have said poorly mated. There was a bit of worker the first week, but then she went to all drone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk