Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: make TBH out of 2x6s  (Read 5209 times)

Offline akane

• New Bee
make TBH out of 2x6s
« on: February 15, 2009, 03:05:42 pm »
I have a whole bunch of old 2x6s someone left in one of the barns.  When I moved in the stack was about to the top of my head and I haven't used even half since then.  Can I make a hive out of nearly all 2x6s?  I was thinking if I need more width to just stack them side to side and have a 2x12" surface.  If I did that would I need to seal where they touch?

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: make TBH out of 2x6s
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 03:28:21 pm »
You can make a hive out of about anything.

As for sealing the edges, I would screw or do whatever would keep them from bowing and seperating. I would not really consider "sealing" as much as just making sure they stay together.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 08:45:45 pm »
I wish you were a little close.  I'ld become your new best friend.  2X6's are like gold around here.

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 11:03:41 am »
is 2x6 not a little overkill for hive lumber?  Perhaps you could barter some of these for some 1x12 stock and save yourself the trouble of dealing with the crack between the boards, warping, etc.  If you want to use the 2x6 boards, you could always router them or use a dado blade to make these tongue and groove, and then run a little glue in the groove before putting them together.  That way they will stay better in line.

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.

Offline akane

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 07:06:43 pm »
I don't know anyone that has 1x12s... In fact I've never seen a 1x12...  I don't doubt Menards or somewhere has them but I wouldn't know anyone that has or uses them and the local store in town does not have any 1" boards beyond 1x2 framing boards.  It would take me more effort finding 1x12s to trade for than the amount of time I have if I want to build it for this year.  At that rate I'd just go pay for scrap pieces from a larger hardware store.  Besides I probably won't run out of 2x6s and the 4x4" posts stacked in the old barns before I run out of places to put structures.  The joint is all I'm worried about.  I might go pick up some cheap brackets and small screws to fasten over the middle of all the joints.

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 10:13:48 pm »
You could "Biscuit" and glue them.  That wouldn't be to hard to do.  A biscuit joiner can be rented if you can't borrow one.

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 10:24:29 pm »
I'd be inclined to run them through the table saw to remove the rounded edges on one side to get more mating surface for the glue.  Maybe even dowel it or biscuits as was already mentioned.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 11:51:26 pm »
I have a whole bunch of old 2x6s someone left in one of the barns.  When I moved in the stack was about to the top of my head and I haven't used even half since then.  Can I make a hive out of nearly all 2x6s?  I was thinking if I need more width to just stack them side to side and have a 2x12" surface.  If I did that would I need to seal where they touch?

You should be able to make a TBH entirely out of 2x6s.  If you just get the crack between them reasonable tight the bees should seal it and glue it all together with propolis anyway.  If the edges meet good and you want to glue it with a good grade of glue (I like titebond 3) the joint will be almost as strong (or stronger than) the wood.  If the wood meets.  This kind of glue won't bridge gaps with much strength though.

If a TBH isn't simple and cheap to build it seems to me that the whole intent is defeated - don't go nuts with tongue and groove or biscuit joinery.  I've noticed in the pictures that some of the most reputable bee keepers here use some pretty basic materials and techniques for their home brewed hives.

On the other hand I'm using half blind dovetails on MY boxes.  :-D

Good luck!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.