Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How viable is never feeding?  (Read 10940 times)

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
Re: How viable is never feeding?
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2015, 11:40:31 am »

This year?
   I have not fed my production hives, but I have been feeding my split hives.  My hives still have sugar on them, but pollen and nectar are starting to come in from maples and other trees. Dandelion bloom is upcoming with some plants showing leaves sprouting..
   So a lot depends on how everything goes from here forward..  I cant say I HAVENT FED THIS YEAR because this year is not yet even close to over..  if the rains fail, drought hits, then I will be feeding to keep healthy hives and hope for better weather next year.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2015, 06:23:55 pm »
What I am saying is feed when you need to in order to keep your bees going and alive. There have been years I have not had to feed at all and years we have had some pretty bad droughts that forced me to feed just to keep them alive period. It makes no sense to me that someone would put all the time , money and effort into it and then just say. Oh well that's just the way it goes and let 5 , 10 or however many hives they have die.. If they had horses or cows would they not feed them in the winter and just let nature take its course.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2015, 07:38:01 pm »
What I am saying is feed when you need to in order to keep your bees going and alive. There have been years I have not had to feed at all and years we have had some pretty bad droughts that forced me to feed just to keep them alive period. It makes no sense to me that someone would put all the time , money and effort into it and then just say. Oh well that's just the way it goes and let 5 , 10 or however many hives they have die.. If they had horses or cows would they not feed them in the winter and just let nature take its course.
   I agree with you completely.. my comment was more for Jayj
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

anything