Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeding Bees Without Drowning Them!  (Read 6191 times)

Offline Adrian

• New Bee
Feeding Bees Without Drowning Them!
« on: March 24, 2012, 11:34:40 am »
Hey All,

We took an entrance feeder and a piece of fine mesh screen and soldered it to the plastic bottom of the feeder. You have to make a tongue and go inside and solder that also as well as all the sides. The bees can get their proboscises through the screen and drink honey or water and not get covered with it or drown in the feeder. It works well. I posted some pictures if you want to view it at this address:::
feeder

A special thank you to Michael Bush for his recent webinar(do more if you can please,)and for taking the time to answer my email when I became intimidated by my very HOT hive! He is doing so much for the bees and for us beekeeper's and for all those who eat food pollinated by the wonderful bees!

Lots of Love,
Adrian
Adrian

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Feeding Bees Without Drowning Them!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 11:35:56 pm »
I prefer to have the screen on the inner cover or whatever the jar goes into so when I remove the jar the bees are removed fro the lid and I can refill without any bees to mess with...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 12:09:35 am »

When it is warm enough I put sugar water in a poultry waterer.  I cover the trough with left over #8 hardware cloth from making SBB.  I set the feeder on a table in the bee yard, they will cover it.

Joe

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 09:34:19 am »
I built a two quart jar feeder like kelly's sells.I never thought to add hardware clothe to keep them in when changing jars. I did use the chicken water method this year also. I put mine by my plum trees and added pea gravel to the tray. I still had some drowning, but the number of bees on it was amazing.
Just a beek trying to get ready for winter.

anything