Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wax Paste ?  (Read 1285 times)

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
Wax Paste ?
« on: March 18, 2009, 11:58:55 am »
Could someone give me a idea on how much oil [ olive ?] would be needed
to make a soft wax paste ?
 I want it soft enough to reach in the jar and get a dab out on my finger tips.
All I need is about a cups worth.

Thanks
Bee-Bop

" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Chef Isaac

• House Bee
    • Sweet as can BEE Honey Farm
Re: Wax Paste ?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 05:16:46 pm »
what are you planning on doing with it?
Chef Isaac... Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 05:52:50 pm »
Will use it as a Bee Lure Scent
Mixed with Lemongrass & Spearmint then rubbed on insides of traps.

It's a Old method of lure scenting, but not sure how much oil to use.

Appreciate any advice.

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 05:57:26 pm »
would it not be easier to take a bit of old comb and spray it with some lemongrass and put it in the trap?  lavender also works.  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 03:20:56 pm »
Here's my lip balm recipe: 1 part beeswax to 4 parts oil. It makes a nice spreadable consistency. Good luck!
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 04:04:29 pm »
I melt wax and add lemon grass oil (one of my commercial friends showed me this). I pour it out in thin sheets and break off pieces when it cools. Just lay a piece of it in your bait hive. The scent of the oil seems to last forever.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 05:06:51 pm »
hardwood--do you have any idea if this lasts even longer than cottonballs soaked w/lemongrass essential oil and placed in plastic bags? Sounds interesting! Plus, then you have the oil AND wax smells going for you...
The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 07:45:11 pm »
I've just started trying this method luvin honey, so I'm not all that sure about it yet...no field experience to report, but I've smelled 2 year old samples from my bud and they seem (at least to my not-so-sensitive nose) to be as strong as the stuff I made just a few weeks ago. I haven't caught any swarms in my traps yet, but there's always a scout or two in them whenever I check so I'd think something's doing the job...whether it's the wax/oil or the old brood comb I couldn't say.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 01:13:25 am »
Very cool, hardwood! I'd rather have wax-oil patties left in my empty hives than plastic bags that I need to pull out later. I love all the ideas to be found on here!
The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

anything