BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Starting out

(1/2) > >>

Liz:
Hi. This website has been very helpful and informative about beekeeping and whether or not it is suitable for us. I am very interested in keeping bees in our orchard, as I think they're pretty chuffin cool. I'm fifteen and live with my mum and a few brothers and they all agree that beekeeping would be a good hobby. I've read over the information to see if this would be suitable for us, and I think I can safely say that beekeeping is right up my street. The only problem is that we have three large dogs who live outside in a kennel. I was wondering if keeping a beehive in our garden might be a bit unwise incase the dogs try to eat whatever smells so good and get very badly stung. The beehive would be at the opposite end of our verly large country garden from the kennel, and i would like to know if any beekepers know anything about both dogs and bees.

Anonymous:
First of all, glad to have you aboard, Liz!

I have a cat who is into everything.  He gets in my garden, into the cupboards... He seems to leave the bees alone.  I haven't noticed him getting stung, but it's possible that he did, and has learned his lesson quickly!  He still hangs around the hive when I'm inspecting, and even when the bees are pretty excited, he just stands around, not getting stung.  Possibly his fur helps there.  I have heard lots of positive stories of people who have dogs and bees, and haven't heard any horror stories, for what it's worth.

Keep in mind, that bees almost NEVER sting when they are away from the hive foraging.  For the most part, they seem to only want to sting to protect, not out of anger.  You have to SERIOUSLY (IE step on, or swat) a honeybee in order to get it to sting away from the hive.

Anonymous:
I don't think your dogs won't bother the bees or the bees them. I have 2 bird dogs that will come over to the hives when I work them. They will sniff at the hives a bit but seem uninterested in the honey. If you spray you orchard for insects be careful where you site your hives. I set my hives near my orchard and found it was difficult to spray the trees without overspray on the bees. I've sinced moved them away from the trees and have no problem. They'll go to the blossoms when in bloom anyway and I don't have to worry when I spray the trees after the blossoms are gone.
Good luck

Anonymous:
I don't think your dogs won't bother the bees or the bees them. I have 2 bird dogs that will come over to the hives when I work them. They will sniff at the hives a bit but seem uninterested in the honey. If you spray you orchard for insects be careful where you site your hives. I set my hives near my orchard and found it was difficult to spray the trees without overspray on the bees. I've sinced moved them away from the trees and have no problem. They'll go to the blossoms when in bloom anyway and I don't have to worry when I spray the trees after the blossoms are gone.
Good luck

beemaster:
Hi Liz:

Welcome aas a guest to the forum. A few things I might point out, we have a teen forum here which just started and whether Beekeeping is your object or not the Teen Forum is for ANY TOPIC that interests teens.

About your dogs, all animals (domesticated at least) learn quickly to shy away from the hives, a single sting on the nose is usually MORE than enough for any dog to get the hint - but as Jas said, stinging is rarely an issue as they forage around.

I hope you visit and follow alone, asking uestings as you think about beekeeping - it is a great family activity for parents and kids alike, educational and interesting - not to leave out relaxing. I'm sure everyone here will tell you the time you spend around your colonies is very peaceful and meditative, interacting with the bees is a always fun and eye-opening.

So stick around the forum, let us know where you are from if you would, I'm guessing maybe the UK but we never know - there are members and guests from around the world and the information and friendly nature of the forum makes it a fun place to visit often.

Lastly, we have a humor section with some great links to fun sites, mind puzzles, games online, animations, jokes and other fun stuff too So you shouldn't get bored too easily if you lose your interest in the beekeeping part.

If you or anyone in your family join up, you won't be alone as a member without honeybees - many members are in the LEARNING STAGES of the hobby, picking up ideas to make NEXT YEAR come off smoother than it otherwise would!

Thanks for stopping by here and I hope the forum and my other beekeeping links (especially my pretty massive beekeeping course for Novices) listed in my SIGNATURE below this post help you in your decision process.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version