Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Anyone watch the 48 hour queen cell experiment done by Bob Binnie?  (Read 3296 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Has anyone watched the video about the 48 hour queen cell experiment done by Bob Binnie?  He placed 48 hour queen cells into nucs from the cell starter, instead of waiting until they were fully developed in the cell finisher. Very interesting.

.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 12:41:07 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Re: Anyone watch the 48 hour queen cell experiment done by Bob Binnie?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 10:03:27 pm »
I watched it.  It seemed to me he did it because he told someone that he would, not because he thought it would be better than his established method.  Sure, it works, but there are zero advantages imho. 
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 12:16:14 am »
I watched it.  It seemed to me he did it because he told someone that he would, not because he thought it would be better than his established method.  Sure, it works, but there are zero advantages imho.

Yes that is true as he explained, keeping his word to a friend at the big bee event he and several well known bee enthusiast were a part of last January. My understanding of the well explained video; He was hoping for the opportunity of skipping the cell finisher situation, 'if I understood him correctly'. He said placing 48 hour queen cells would work ok and did work if the nuc was strong. He went on to explain the problem was the weaker nucs did not produce enough royal jelly to develop the caliber of queens that he prefers and is use to obtaining with his present queen producing method of the cell finisher.

I did find this experiment interesting. Mr Binnie seems to be open minded, constantly evolving and adapting as a lifetime beekeeper, seeking to improve on his beekeeping proficiency while graciously sharing that knowledge. This is what I have gathered as I have been keeping up with his sharing of knowledge and information since he began making public videos of knowledge freely shared. He seems like a swell guy.

Just as you do here MrHoneyPump, as well as others here. Constantly sharing your beekeeping knowledge, experience, and expertise, helping each of us who will pay close attention, to become better beekeepers. Thank you all... 😊

.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 01:37:42 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 09:00:31 am »
I have heard some talk about how 48 hr queen cells are less fragile than cells that are about to emerge.  Of course they have to have nurse bees feeding them all the time, but apparently, according to this theory, they are easier to ship without damage.  They could be put in stronger hives to finish after shipping I suppose, but this method of giving them to the nucs seems problematic.  I have not tried this, but my concern would be that the three most important things that contribute to the quality of the queen are how well they are fed (which this seems to ignore), how well they are bred (how many drones etc.) and how long they get to lay before being interrupted (at least two to three weeks is best).
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin