ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE

Baby Goats on the Way!

<< < (5/14) > >>

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: The15thMember on April 24, 2021, 01:26:29 pm ---
--- Quote from: Ben Framed on April 24, 2021, 12:01:01 pm ---
That is awesome. A few years ago a Mexican restaurant opened here. They featured goat milk cheese dip! It was outstanding with chips and salsa. I think through the years they have converted to regular cow milk. It does not have that good rich flavor that it once had. Do you make cheese as well?

--- End quote ---
My sister is going to try making cheese, but she hasn't had the time yet.  Apparently mozzarella is an easy cheese to make, so she is thinking about trying that first.  Maybe we'll be having goat cheese pizza soon!   

--- End quote ---

I read in the cooking post where your sisters were successful in the cheese making! Congratulations. Have yall tried to make goat butter?

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on July 13, 2021, 01:30:23 pm ---I read in the cooking post where your sisters were successful in the cheese making! Congratulations. Have yall tried to make goat butter?

--- End quote ---
Goats milk is naturally homogenized, so it's hard to separate out the cream from milk for butter.  My sister has been taking some milk and leaving it sit in a big flat dish in the fridge for several days so the cream will rise to the top, and then skimming off the cream and storing it in the freezer until we have enough to make butter.  We haven't actually tried it yet, but it's something we are working towards.  She has also tried yogurt, which she is having trouble getting to set up thick enough, but it tastes really good.  We are going to start experimenting with soap too.       

Ben Framed:
What you all are doing is interesting. I love fresh real butter on a hot biscuit. Makes the whole breakfast so much better in my opinion. We use to make our own when I was living at home with my parents. (from a milk cow) What a treat! My parents liked the buttermilk! I do not. I can not get past the smell! lol  :shocked: :wink:

Michael Bush:
I wonder how a cream separator would work on goat's milk.  We had friends with goats and it was the same.  Only a little of the cream ever separates out naturall.

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: Michael Bush on July 14, 2021, 07:13:19 pm ---I wonder how a cream separator would work on goat's milk.  We had friends with goats and it was the same.  Only a little of the cream ever separates out naturall.

--- End quote ---

Mr Bush my grandparents had and used one on cows milk. I did not think of that. I bet it would help Member and her family. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version