Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Alabama! Intermediate mycologist turning towards beekeeping  (Read 2053 times)

Offline MushroomPrince

• Brood
    • Fungi Farm
Hello, I am pretty new to beekeeping despite having a strong background in biological sciences. My main biological passions are mycology, microbiology, and entomology. Besides agriculture I enjoy climbing outside and in my own house, hiking outside, and scuba diving. I am currently working at a mushroom farm located in Dadeville AL and want to start keeping bees as well to study the interactions bees have with fungi. My main goals this winter is to get a layens colony and swarm trap built! Thank you for reading my post, this is the end :)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Hello from Alabama! Intermediate mycologist turning towards beekeeping
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 07:19:07 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster, your royal highness of mushrooms!  :cheesy:  Seriously though, it sounds like you'll have a really interesting and unique angle on beekeeping.  There was a thread a year or two ago discussing bees and mushrooms which I'm sure your opinions would be valued on.  I'd never heard of the layens hive until now (but I'm only in my 3rd winter as a beekeeper, so that doesn't say much).  Why is the layens the hive style you are choosing? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 08:15:59 pm »
Welcome to beemaster,  lots of knowable beekeepers here willing to help
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 08:24:56 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 09:32:01 pm »
welcome  :happy:

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 01:02:03 am »
Welcome, Shroom.
I keep 4 foot long horizontal, langstroth hives instead of Layens. I liked the idea of 32 standard deep langstroth frames in a 4 foot long box hive, instead of fewer, and deeper frames like those in a layen. That way I can exchange frames with any standard langstroth beekeeper around.
I look forward to your postings.
Welcome.