Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Gift for friends with sore throats - Recipe for Pear-Honey compote  (Read 2869 times)

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
When people have colds, they often mix honey in almost-boiling tea.  They don't know it destroys the good enzymes.  Here's a way they can enjoy honey without overheating. 

I think it's a good idea to make sure to use organic products because especially when someone is ill, pesticide residues are counterproductive. :)

3 tablespoons of lemon juice
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp peeled, shredded, & minced ginger (or juiced ginger root)
tiny pinch of salt
            stir until blended, then add:
One large pear, peeled and thinly sliced - any variety
1/2 cup of walnut halves, no crumbs (it's a texture thing)
12  half-inch squares of cut comb honey
           swirl gently in the jar
Can be spooned into a bowl, with or without plain greek yogurt.  All enzymes intact  :wink:

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
Re: Gift for friends with sore throats - Recipe for Pear-Honey compote
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 11:21:14 am »
Oh! Thanks for this, I'll give it a try

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 01:10:09 pm »
I'd have already tried this if I had ginger in the house.  I'm actually sick right now.  :smile: 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 08:35:55 pm »
I'd have already tried this if I had ginger in the house.  I'm actually sick right now.  :smile:

Sorry to hear 15, I made 3 batches of Fiery Cider this fall, and really love it for a cold, or daily tonic - it takes about 4 weeks to make, so won?t help you now.

1/2 c fresh ginger root, peeled and cut into small cubes
1/2 c fresh horseradish root, peeled and cut into small cubes
1/4 c fresh turmeric root cut into slices
1/2 c onion - chopped
10 garlic cloves - chopped
1 tablespoon honey
Juice of one lemon
Hot peppers to taste - recipe calls for 1/2 cup jalape?os but I cant handle that much
Raw apple cider vinegar - I like to use Bragg, raw, unfiltered with the mother

Put all ingredients in a quart jar and add vinegar leaving one inch of headspace.
Put in a weight to keep ingredients under the vinegar, cover tightly and let infuse at least 4 weeks.  Shake daily, and open to release gasses a couple times a week.  When ready, strain and store the liquid in airtight container and refrigerate. 

I gave 1/2 pint jars of this for Christmas presents and it?s had rave reviews - my best friend uses it in her barbecue sauce.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 10:39:40 pm »
Thanks for the well wishes, Seeb. Both me and my youngest sister came down with a cold, so we?ve been hanging out together for a couple days, since we don?t want to infect anyone else in our family. Interesting recipe, I?ll pass it along to my mom.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

anything