BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > CRAFTING CORNER

Wax candles

<< < (2/6) > >>

divemaster1963:
Jim I was getting 5.00 a set of two 8 inch hand filed tapered candles and 7.50 for 12 inch pair. I made a gig to dip 4 sets at a time out of welding wire wheels and a piece of rod. Welded it together. I made 10 each for the 8 and 12 inch. I can dipped 80 sets in about and hour. Made my own wicks from treated twine . final cost per set is 1.50.

I had a post of the gigs on hear some where. I think its tied to the couple from fl. Who's home burned if I remember right.

John
Hardwood. Getting old.

BeeMaster2:

--- Quote from: jredburn on January 16, 2015, 06:45:19 pm ---Jim,
First lesson in business 101 is "All the market will bear".   

Basic guidelines,  cost of material if you had to buy it times three; +  cost  of labour if you had to hire it done, times 2 (minimum) + markup for equipment, permits, insurance, store rental, shipping, stocking, advertising + profit.

If you cannot sell them for a profit, then don't.  Going into business for fun or experience is a quick way to go broke.

Regards
Joe

--- End quote ---
Thanks Joe.
My wife wanted to sell the large candles, one is the pine cone-14 ounces and the other is a fancy cylinder-16 ounces, for $12. I searched the Internet for the price of the wax alone and found it ranged from one to 2 dollars an ounce. The wax we are using is very white.  I used my solar wax melter over and over to bleach it.
I finally got her to raise the price to $20.00 for the large ones. She says the people that she sell to cannot afford that.
I  do not think we are in a profit range yet but she enjoys it and that is what is important.
Jim

BeeMaster2:

--- Quote from: divemaster1963 on January 16, 2015, 09:24:42 pm ---Jim I was getting 5.00 a set of two 8 inch hand filed tapered candles and 7.50 for 12 inch pair. I made a gig to dip 4 sets at a time out of welding wire wheels and a piece of rod. Welded it together. I made 10 each for the 8 and 12 inch. I can dipped 80 sets in about and hour. Made my own wicks from treated twine . final cost per set is 1.50.

I had a post of the gigs on hear some where. I think its tied to the couple from fl. Who's home burned if I remember right.

John
Hardwood. Getting old.

--- End quote ---
Thanks John. I remember that thread. We also make a molded, twisted that is about that size that she sells for $5.
How much do they weigh? I think ours are about one ounce.
Jim

divemaster1963:
Never really weighed them. I was. Making them for the catholic churches around the area then had people that wanted them. So I never really figured it up. The catholic churches stopped buying 100% beeswax candles and went to a 50-50 candle because of cost. I offered it at the older price so they could still have them. The church has a better aroma with the 100% beeswax candle.

John

BeeMaster2:
John,
Not only does it smell better, the only candle that does not produce toxic vapors Is pure bees wax.
Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version