Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Preventing blossom end rot on tomatoes  (Read 5487 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Preventing blossom end rot on tomatoes
« on: August 16, 2013, 10:20:14 pm »
I like to share this because not everyone knows this. I keep agriculture lime to put on the poop in the sheds/stalls/houses. This is not the round fertilizer type that you put on your lawn. It is a white powdery product much like DE. It neutralizes the ammonia from livestock poop and knocks out much of the odor.

Blossom end rot(BER) is caused by a calcium deficiency in the soil. This livestock/agriculture lime is already broke down and thus it is pretty much immediately taken up by the plant. The fertilizer type once applied will have to break down first (30 days?). Agriculture lime is a mineral so you pretty much can't hurt anything by being somewhat generous with the application. It won't cure BER just prevent it. I also used in on squash/cucumbers/egg plants and probably something else.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Preventing blossom end rot on tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 12:49:00 am »
thanks.  this is info i can use....unlike that goat thing   :evil:   :lau:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Preventing blossom end rot on tomatos
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 07:38:07 pm »
I failed to describe Blossom End Rot. When you pick a pretty tomato and find out that the bottom is black and ruint, that's BER.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 09:16:27 am »
a good handful o gypsum under each tomato plant at planting wil prevent blosum end rot   instant calcium release
to bee or not to bee

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 05:18:51 pm »
oyster shell?  we have lots of that around and it's cheap.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 07:56:47 pm »
I loaded pelletized limestone to the garden last fall . When I planted tomatoes in the spring I mixed epsom salt into the soil benath the plantings. No blossom end rot this year and the melons are going bananas ,so to speak. I only planted a couple melon plants and MaBuzzbee is tired of seeing any more grow already!!

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 10:56:59 pm »
Kathy, yeah the big thing is the calcium. I believe oysters have that but I don't know how long it takes to break down.

buzzbee - Epsom salt for melons?

Offline Norman365

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 04:24:36 am »
I have problem that last time when sun light directly towards the plant all the day.It will effect plant but if i take away from sun light for 5 hours a day then it didn't grow better.Is that problem due to sun light or with my seeds and something else?
Can anyone explain although it's great discussion.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 08:52:50 am »
Certain plants requires X amount of sunlight a day. There's a number of varibles that can effect a plant. When you said it didn't grown better, in what way? Tall, lanky, stunted, pale, or what? Sunlight plays a big part in the well being of a plant.

anything