Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Gasoline  (Read 4577 times)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Gasoline
« on: May 11, 2015, 04:02:29 pm »
I bought gas today. 10% alcohol. 10 gallons 25.00
The station had non-alcohol gas for 3.20 per gallon.
Now look at the math
9 gal. pure gas with a gallon of alcohol added, 25.00
9 gal. pure gas without alcohol added, 28.80.
Why are they paying us 3.80 just to take the gal. of alcohol?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
Re: Gasoline
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 05:24:10 pm »
You are being punished for wanting the good stuff.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 05:41:11 pm »
heh, They give you extra money to buy it because it stinks and the govt wants them to sell it!

i stopped buying gas with alcohol in it a LONG time ago.   I was replacing three to four fuel pumps per year in my/wifes and kids vehicles. Replacing rotted out gas tanks and getting frozen fuel lines from all the moisture alcohol draws..   I still drive the same truck I did back then.. have not replaced the in tank fuel pump since i stopped using alcohol...

you need "about" 30% more alcohol than gasoline to run a gasoline engine. Gasoline engines do not have the compression or the cam profile to run alcohol efficiently, and this INCLUDES vehicles that are dual fuel... IE can run E85..  they are NOT set up to run alcohol, so mileage will suffer. Alcohol draws moisture, and is corrosive. If your fuel system is not set up for it it will fail.
   Adding ten percent alcohol does not add up to better performance, it adds up to worse performance.  UNLESS the engine is set up JUST for alcohol.
   The local BP tells me that they will eventually go to ALL alcohol additive fuels..  when they do I will stop buying gasoline.  I have a grinder mixer, barrels for mash, and three hindred acres of corn...  I will make my own alcohol and run that in my trucks...  Running a mixture is a complete waste of resources...   well, except for the subsidies the govt gets....
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 08:55:49 am »
heh, They give you extra money to buy it because it stinks and the govt wants them to sell it!

i stopped buying gas with alcohol in it a LONG time ago.   I was replacing three to four fuel pumps per year in my/wifes and kids vehicles. Replacing rotted out gas tanks and getting frozen fuel lines from all the moisture alcohol draws..   I still drive the same truck I did back then.. have not replaced the in tank fuel pump since i stopped using alcohol...

you need "about" 30% more alcohol than gasoline to run a gasoline engine. Gasoline engines do not have the compression or the cam profile to run alcohol efficiently, and this INCLUDES vehicles that are dual fuel... IE can run E85..  they are NOT set up to run alcohol, so mileage will suffer. Alcohol draws moisture, and is corrosive. If your fuel system is not set up for it it will fail.
   Adding ten percent alcohol does not add up to better performance, it adds up to worse performance.  UNLESS the engine is set up JUST for alcohol.
   The local BP tells me that they will eventually go to ALL alcohol additive fuels..  when they do I will stop buying gasoline.  I have a grinder mixer, barrels for mash, and three hindred acres of corn...  I will make my own alcohol and run that in my trucks...  Running a mixture is a complete waste of resources...   well, except for the subsidies the govt gets....

If you are going to make your own alcohol I would suggest using a crop other than corn. The real problem with alcohol is that corn is a terrible crop for it. http://grist.org/article/biofuel-some-numbers/ Or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel I think a better option would be to grow algae for biodiesel. I find it interesting that those charts don't list biodiesel from algae. This one does... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_biofuel_crop_yields
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin