Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Release my queen  (Read 1101 times)

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
Release my queen
« on: June 24, 2017, 11:08:09 pm »
When I got my queen today she was alone.  When I have ordered queens previously they had attendants with her.  (Of course, I got her locally instead of through the mail.)  Is that normal?  Does she need to be released sooner?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Release my queen
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 12:29:57 am »
TY,
The important question is are the bees ready to accept her? How long were the bees queenless? What type of bees are they? How do they react to her.
Open the hive tomorrow and use a skewer stick or a tooth pick and slide it across the cage. If you can easily slide it and the bees get out of the way, remove the cork and let her out. As soon as the cork is out place it hole side down between 2 frames so that she will crawl right into the hive. You could put the cage back in the hive but you would have to open it up again to remove the cage and I prefer not to bother her and to give a couple of weeks to get established.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 08:57:48 am »
Jim, I thought a queen be had to have attendants to feed her, otherwise she'd starve in about 24 hours. A couple of years back I put a queen in a cage by herself. The next morning she was dead. That's when someone told me about the queen and attendants.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 07:35:40 pm »
Usually the nurse bees will start feeding her as they get used to her. If there was a queen or queen cells in the hive, they may totally reject her. The assistants will feed her to their own death even if they cannot get food for themselves.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 07:37:22 pm »
I released her and everyone seemed happy. Fingers crossed that stay that way!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 08:35:22 pm »
Congratulations.
Ben Franklin