Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What am I seeing? Cluster similar to bearding.  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
What am I seeing? Cluster similar to bearding.
« on: June 24, 2017, 10:19:36 pm »
I can't post a pic since the program tells me my pics are too big.  Since I'm on a cell phone and don't know how to change the size I'll have to describe it.

It's an observation hive.  Room temp is about 65 at night to 70 during day.

My entrance is a plastic pipe about 1.25in in diameter. 

I built a landing board and a slight pitched roof above the entrance.  A cluster about the size of a baseball has formed above the entrance clinging to the ceiling.

This happened a week or so ago.  My wife described it and I thought it was robbing until I saw it firsthand.  Realized it wasn't.  I took the reducer off the entrance and it seemed to help.

Until today when I saw it again.  Outsize temp is 72 or so but is facing the sun.
You are what you think.

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
Re: What am I seeing? Cluster similar to bearding.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 10:28:13 pm »
Probably just hanging out. I get quite a few hanging out at the entrance to my observation hive too.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 01:22:46 am »

This tool has proved handy on Android platform - seamless and fast.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shoozhoo.imageresizer&hl=en&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorganic%26utm_term%3Dreduce+photo+mobile+download&pcampaignid=APPU_1_ZzhPWa-GPISx0ASuwpeYAw

"This app reduce photo file size(resize/crop image) for Email, Twitter, Facebook, etc . * There is no influence in original photo even if the photo is reduced with this."

What is the colony population  by number, 10, 20, 60 thousand?
Your description reads as nurse bees just making space on a warm day
but a look inside may prove prudent.

Cheers.

Bill

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 08:21:20 am »
Boarding isn't only reserved for hot days. My guess is that things are getting cramped in your observation hive.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 08:22:28 pm »
Aroc,
When they start building an all of bees outside, keep an eye out for queen cells. My OH is almost full and they just stared balling out side. Check them at night and in the morning. If they are staying out all the time get ready to split them. I like to wait until in see queen cells developing before I split.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything