Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honeybees and Sunflowers  (Read 6120 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Honeybees and Sunflowers
« on: June 22, 2017, 03:47:04 pm »
I planted some sunflowers. Beautiful plants that are not starting to flower. The bees flock to them. Are they a good nectar source. If they are I was thinking of planting several hundred to help out in our dearth time of year.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
Re: Honeybees and Sunflowers
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 04:15:33 pm »
I have a sunflower question also, I planted lots of borage and about a quarter acre of lemon queen sunflowers.  They are blooming profusely but my bees are not touching them, only bumble bees.  The flowers are beautiful.  Are any seed companies treating seed with systemic pesticides.  I am at a loss, the bees are working something but not the sunflowers or Borage.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 04:17:40 pm »
I've seen bees on sunflowers and I've also seen them ignore them. I guess it depends on what else is blooming.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 04:27:46 pm »
I am at the tail end of the flow. Still some wildflowers and the chinese tallow tree. I am thinking that if I am going to focus on planting things that bloom during the dearth. I know it will not totally feed the bees but it can't hurt. I also have a lot of lavender that is fixing to bloom.

Offline azzkell

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 07:05:36 am »
I have heard that bees will go for what they need (pollen,  nectar) and the best that they can find. Also they target large blooms if available rather than going between individual species. So if there is a large amount of one or two species they will hit that hard until exhausted then expand their search. That's what I understand them to do anyway.
Cheers,
Aaron.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 09:15:10 am »
I see sun flowers as a pollen source not a nectar source.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 09:39:33 am »
I see sun flowers as a pollen source not a nectar source.

Thanks. Either way they look like a good investment for my death management.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 08:36:04 am »
Brian, one of the folks in our bee keepers association planted several acres of sunflowers. He said it makes a good honey. It could be our two different climates or the type of sunflower he planted. I planted an area probably 75' by 150' and I saw the bees working it pretty good the other day. They didn't have any pollen on their legs either.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 09:47:28 am »
As of now my bees have found something better. They are not working the sunflowers but the bumble bees are.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 10:21:01 am »
Brian, one of the folks in our bee keepers association planted several acres of sunflowers. He said it makes a good honey. It could be our two different climates or the type of sunflower he planted. I planted an area probably 75' by 150' and I saw the bees working it pretty good the other day. They didn't have any pollen on their legs either.

It very well could be like with golden rod.  It could also be that when it blooms there is something else that competes leaving the sunflowers as a second or third choice for nectar here.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 11:37:32 am »
My girls are working hard bringing in some kind of yellow pollen, but they are still not on the sunflowers.  Maybe I need more bees  Ha Ha says my social secretary.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 01:35:19 pm by paus »

Offline azzkell

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 12:48:29 pm »
Probably a large source somewhere nearby. Can you see anything around in flower?

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 01:40:52 pm »
I only saw one bee working "partridge peas" I don't have a clue, but they are bringing in lots of pollen and some look like they have nectar, kind of loaded when they land but no pollen.  Still no bees on sunflowers.

Offline azzkell

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 01:17:06 am »
Lol that's frustrating. Hope they make their way onto them soon for you.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 09:19:22 am »
bw, yours may be working the popcorn trees.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 09:42:00 am »
I think they are. I am going to try to harvest today.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 08:48:18 pm »
Growing around a 1/2 acre each year @Lat.18 it has been seen to be a second choice for the forager.
Even with 2 (two) >60K colonies within metres the forager numbers are erratic to low, on days they do graze them.

Cheers.

Bill

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2017, 12:57:09 am »
Growing around a 1/2 acre each year @Lat.18 it has been seen to be a second choice for the forager.
Even with 2 (two) >60K colonies within metres the forager numbers are erratic to low, on days they do graze them.

Cheers.

Bill
Bill,
I have read this several times and I cannot figure out what you are trying to say.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2017, 01:00:16 am »
Where are you from  Bill? Please add your location to your profile.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2017, 01:37:23 am »

Cheers.

Bill
Bill,
I have read this several times and I cannot figure out what you are trying to say.
Jim

Honeybees, Italians anyway, are not partial to Sunflower.
Trigona love them.
Better, for you?

I gave my location in my "Hello World" post in that forum.
However I have now added it to my profile for those that
must know whom is who.

Cheers.

Bill

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2017, 11:01:00 am »
I think mine are mutts now

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2017, 10:27:27 pm »
I too am in the southeast USA, have sunflowers,  and the bees ignore them. But I like them!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2017, 11:44:08 pm »
Thanks Bill.
We have sunflowers here in my wife's garden. One is about 11" in diameter. I have not seen any bees on it.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2017, 08:12:12 am »
             I did know a beekeeping from Sorth Dakota USA. Now is retired from keeping bees. Puting bees on sunflower would be his last resort.. The honey was dark and it did crystallized fast I'm talking like 5 days or less after being  capped. No not all some flowers I create equal. Some are great sources of nectar While others are great sources of pollen. And somewhere more like dual purpose. Farmers do plant hundreds of Acres of a sunflower in South Dakota..  From what my friend said about sunflower.. Sunflowers have very little value for a honey producer..

BEE HAPPY Jim  134  :smile:

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2017, 09:16:10 am »
             I did know a beekeeping from Sorth Dakota USA. Now is retired from keeping bees. Puting bees on sunflower would be his last resort.. The honey was dark and it did crystallized fast I'm talking like 5 days or less after being  capped. No not all some flowers I create equal. Some are great sources of nectar While others are great sources of pollen. And somewhere more like dual purpose. Farmers do plant hundreds of Acres of a sunflower in South Dakota..  From what my friend said about sunflower.. Sunflowers have very little value for a honey producer..

BEE HAPPY Jim  134  :smile:

If we knew the right varieties that are dual purpose they could serve a great purpose for me. I could plant a lot of them to help lessen our coming dearth.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2017, 12:17:06 pm »
I just looked at sunflowers, Bumble bees no honey bees.  The ladies are bring pollen and nectar, no idea from what source.  I did a lot of reading on the best variety of sunflower and "Lemon Queen" was the best according to those that had tried different varieties  Lemon queen is NOT a hybred.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2017, 02:15:30 pm »
THanks. I might plant a lot of Lemon Queens then

anything