Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When are hivelocks worthwhile?  (Read 4735 times)

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
When are hivelocks worthwhile?
« on: June 19, 2017, 10:17:49 pm »
In case people aren't sure what I'm referring to, I'm talking about these:

http://www.qualitybeekeepingsupplies.com.au/index.php/catalogue/content/19-hive-locks

I haven't been using them mostly due to their cost. I'm coming to find a lot of my home-made lids are warping, and from I've gathered, having a pressure placed on the top of the hive can help hold it together. Since then, I've been placing bricks ontop of my hive, but not sure if it'd be best to buy hivelocks instead.

Someone suggested to me to get some wire, and build individual locks on all my supers, to lock them all together. Seems like it'd work well but is perhaps a bit too time intensive.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: When are hivelocks worthwhile?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 12:42:34 am »
The only time I have ever tied down any of my hives was when a hurricane was coming.  To keep it together I put a tie down strap around it and pulled it tight.

Good luck to you and your bees,

Joe D

Offline azzkell

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 01:33:47 am »
Like Joe I have only used ratchet straps to secure lid and supers together.  Have once used heavy duty tent pegs and rope to secure a hive down.
All the best
Aaron.

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 05:43:06 am »
I have a few Emlocks not enough for all my hives as they are so expensive. I only use them if I move my hives which is rarely,generally I put a brick or rock on top and that does the job good enough.

Cheers
Steve

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 12:19:12 pm »
+1 on ratchet straps. We had a nasty tornado producing thunderstorm come through. Tipped over two of my hives. Ratchet straps prevented any damage to the colony.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 12:51:41 pm »
I use ratchet straps they  are very economical  and easy to use.  I had to cut the hooks off one of my ratchets because my puppy chewed it up, I riveted it to the ratchet with no hooks.  This is much better than fooling with trying to hook and ratchet at the same time, I may do some more like that.

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 03:58:55 pm »
Ratchet straps are probably the most versatile.  I buy-up any unloved rachets seen at boot (bring'n'buy) sales for almost no money - usually the straps themselves have perished from UV.  Then I fit a single length of UV-resistant strapping to the ratchet using epoxy resin - which is much easier than trying to sew through the strap.  About 1.5" of overlap is enough - never had one fail yet.

A much cheaper option than ratchet straps are used by Russian beekeepers - just a short length of cunningly folded steel rod and a plain strap - I'll dig out some photos is anyone's interested.

But - if you want the cheapest of all possible options, consider using a rope tourniquet - that costs next to nothing ... just a length of rope and a stick.

LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 09:07:31 pm »
I have a few Emlocks not enough for all my hives as they are so expensive. I only use them if I move my hives which is rarely,generally I put a brick or rock on top and that does the job good enough.

Cheers
Steve

I thought they were sometimes called emlocks, wasn't sure if my memory about that was off. I'm going to be moving 9 beehives, I have 3 emlocks already, so have been considering buying another 6 for the move... I think I'll just see if I can buy these ratchet straps at my local hardware store, and use the emlocks for the biggest hives that I want to strap down the most.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 12:17:47 am »
I have ratchet straps on all my hives that are on my trailer at the farm. They work real well.

Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 08:20:17 am »
I use ratchet straps they  are very economical  and easy to use.  I had to cut the hooks off one of my ratchets because my puppy chewed it up, I riveted it to the ratchet with no hooks.
Usually the straps are longer than a wet week.  If the hook gets damaged just double the strap up to make a loop and  put both of the free ends into the winding mechanism.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 09:00:45 am »
For beekeeping use there's no need for hooks - just glue one end to the ratchet, and use the strap as one big 'loop':

LJ

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 09:37:57 am »
The first ratchets didn't have hooks, all they had was the strap. I have a few of them. They are shorter than the ones with hooks
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 10:00:00 am »
I wouldn't trust glue for an exterior environment or for any strap that has nylon in it.  If you can't sew by hand you can staple the heck out of it.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 06:50:07 pm »
Go onto Ali Express, China, you can find Emlock with steel strapping for about $4 USD.

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 07:44:36 pm »
Can you link me to anything OldBeavo? I went to the local hardware store, but the ratchet straps were too expensive. Consumers face extrotionate prices here.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 12:13:52 am »
I just use ratchet straps. They are about the same price as you original product posted. At least in the USA.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 05:12:43 am »
I wouldn't trust glue for an exterior environment or for any strap that has nylon in it. 

I take it you're not a sailor then, Brian ?  All modern boats are either made or held together with epoxy or polyester resins, and with very few exceptions all cordage is now synthetic.  Boats, of course, stay outside permanently - unlike straps occasionally used to hold hives together ...
LJ

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 07:23:27 am »
Hi OM
Try this website

https://huakaifengju.en.alibaba.com/
I think they may call them hive locks as well as emlocks

Cheers

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2017, 07:39:35 am »
Is the price really 50 cents a piece?
That is a really good deal even if you have to order 100 of them.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 08:26:33 am »
I wouldn't trust glue for an exterior environment or for any strap that has nylon in it. 

I take it you're not a sailor then, Brian ?  All modern boats are either made or held together with epoxy or polyester resins, and with very few exceptions all cordage is now synthetic.

This is true LJ but the strength member is fiber glass or carbon fiber not nylon.  Some synthetics can be glued, nylon is not one of them.  Silicone rubber would be the best choice for gluing fabric because it can flex.  Epoxy would be the last choice because it doesn't flex very well.  Sewing is by far the best choice followed by stapling or riveting and then wrapping the joint with vinyl tape.
Nope, I am not a sailor but I have sailed.  I would think all sailors would know how to sew.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 12:14:48 pm »
Go onto Ali Express, China, you can find Emlock with steel strapping for about $4 USD.

Yup. I was on wish.com the other day and just searched for "beekeeping" and they were selling the locks for about $2 each.
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2017, 12:48:48 pm »

I take it you're not a sailor then, Brian ?  All modern boats are either made or held together with epoxy or polyester resins, and with very few exceptions all cordage is now synthetic.

This is true LJ but the strength member is fiber glass or carbon fiber not nylon.  Some synthetics can be glued, nylon is not one of them.  Silicone rubber would be the best choice for gluing fabric because it can flex.  Epoxy would be the last choice because it doesn't flex very well.  Sewing is by far the best choice followed by stapling or riveting and then wrapping the joint with vinyl tape.
Nope, I am not a sailor but I have sailed.  I would think all sailors would know how to sew.

I don't know how nylon got into this topic - not from me I can assure you.

Although webbing may all look similar, there are a few key differences between the three types of heavy duty webbing we sell. What works for one application, might not work for another. For example, for use as a recovery strap, choose nylon. Webbing ratchet in polyester will work better for tie-downs as it has less stretch than nylon.

Polyester webbing
Polyester?s lower stretch value makes it ideal for tie-down applications.
Sometimes called military webbing, polyester cargo web is strong and lightweight like nylon webbing, but without the stretch of nylon. Its strength and flat profile makes it useful in some applications in place of traditional rope.
http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Webbing

And - just as all nylons are not the same, epoxy (which is only a name derived from a particular type of chemical bond) glues are also not all the same.  For gluing polyester webbing, I use an epoxy which remains very slightly flexible.  And, we're only talking about a short length anyway. 

Yes, I can sew - some of my sail repairs (done by hand, not machine) are works of art. Well, at least I think they are.  :smile:

But for a tie-down just to hold a few boxes together ... I'd go for the quick 'n' easy option every time.
LJ

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2017, 06:21:50 pm »
For attaching the strapping to an emlock we use a clip the is crushed to secure it with purpose made applicator.
If you google any strapping company you will find these clips, they are for nylon strapping but work on poly woven strap.

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2017, 05:32:19 am »
Interesting - I've never seen those.  If you had some buckles, you could also use those - here's a shot of a Russian using just a length of bent metal rod and some buckles:

Possibly the lowest cost option ?
LJ

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2017, 09:11:12 am »
I don't think it is the lowest cost if they are buying the straps but it is the quickest to work a lot of hives.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2017, 10:08:24 pm »
Interesting - I've never seen those.  If you had some buckles, you could also use those - here's a shot of a Russian using just a length of bent metal rod and some buckles:

Possibly the lowest cost option ?
LJ

IMHO This product has very little versatility. As compared to ratchet straps..

BEE HAPPY  Jim 134  :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2017, 07:12:27 am »
     IMHO This product has very little versatility. As compared to ratchet straps..

Fully agree - that's exactly what I said in my reply (#6) of 20th June. 

But the Russian guy doesn't want versatility - those are single-purpose straps, used soley for the strapping-down of hive tops.  Which was the OP's focus when starting this thread:
I'm coming to find a lot of my home-made lids are warping, and from I've gathered, having a pressure placed on the top of the hive can help hold it together. Since then, I've been placing bricks on top of my hive ...

The OP was looking for an economical method of securing hive lids, but hivelocks were considered too expensive.  Versatility wasn't mentioned as a requirement.
LJ

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2017, 10:59:20 am »
On average a new beekeeper with just two hives. Will spend about $1,000 for their setup in the USA. The average inch and a quarter ratchet straps will cost you approximately $30 for 3. This is about 3% of the overall cost. If you cannot afford. That I believe you will have a hard time keeping bees. Oh and by the way if I'm spending my money versatility will sell me..

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2017, 11:06:38 am »
Oh and by the way.. if you live where I live. You better be prepared to spend another $300 to $500 for a bear fence. :wink:

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :smile:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 11:30:56 am by Jim 134 »
        Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2017, 01:38:50 pm »
In QLD Emlocks (complete with strap) can be purchased for $9.20 if you shop around, and it is a small price to pay for peace of mind. Only this year I was asked to pick up a hive that had blown over in heavy wind (owner absent on holidays) and as there was no strap it had come apart.

I agree with Jim in that it is just an included cost in setting up a hive.

Kev

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2017, 10:41:43 pm »
In QLD Emlocks (complete with strap) can be purchased for $9.20 if you shop around, and it is a small price to pay for peace of mind. Only this year I was asked to pick up a hive that had blown over in heavy wind (owner absent on holidays) and as there was no strap it had come apart.

I agree with Jim in that it is just an included cost in setting up a hive.

Kev

I do know beekeepers around here that cannot get to that bee hives in the winter time. If a Hive Falls over without a ratchet strap. Hive open will up and it will die. 95% of the time .. If it does have a ratchet strap. It will survive the fall 95%.

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2017, 07:40:15 am »
All our wooden hives have wire clips, they hold really well when it comes to hives tipping over. They cost about $1.30 AUD so 2 on each box and if you get 3 or 4 high then the cost is still there, yes, cost of beekeeping.
One advantage is that you are not picking them up off the ground to do them up.

anything