Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tropical Systems and Bees  (Read 1944 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Tropical Systems and Bees
« on: June 19, 2017, 09:51:49 am »
Being near the coast and seeing teh weather forecast we might have a tropical system soon. Anyone know how to protect your hives when facing a situation like this?

Offline azzkell

• House Bee
Re: Tropical Systems and Bees
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 02:37:36 pm »
Strap boxes together with metal/plastic strapping or ratchet strap then tie down to large bessa/cinder bricks/blocks or any other suitably heavy object using trucky knot doing a single loop around entire hive in both side directions and if you feel the need fwd to aft. That is what I'd do or simply a heavy object on top or sides and tied down. Either way strap the hive boxes together so if it were to tip it will not be busted open.
Hope they come through in one piece.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 05:22:53 pm »
Strap boxes together with metal/plastic strapping or ratchet strap then tie down to large bessa/cinder bricks/blocks or any other suitably heavy object using trucky knot doing a single loop around entire hive in both side directions and if you feel the need fwd to aft. That is what I'd do or simply a heavy object on top or sides and tied down. Either way strap the hive boxes together so if it were to tip it will not be busted open.
Hope they come through in one piece.

Lets hope the storm does not get to strong and does not come this way.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 12:40:54 am »
Wallace,
I put ratchet straps around each hive and an anchor in the ground at the end of each row of hives. I use a second strap to hold the hives down using the anchors. The hives have to be move together or a long board must be placed under the strap.
Make sure your bees are not in a flood zone.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 01:55:10 pm »
Wallace,
I put ratchet straps around each hive and an anchor in the ground at the end of each row of hives. I use a second strap to hold the hives down using the anchors. The hives have to be move together or a long board must be placed under the strap.
Make sure your bees are not in a flood zone.
Jim

Thanks. We are ok from floods. We are on top of the hill. This has been a non event as far as wind but it has rained for the better part of 3 weeks.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 09:15:55 am »
bw, I was looking at my electronic rain gauge and it says we have got over 50" this year already.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 09:38:46 am »
bw, I was looking at my electronic rain gauge and it says we have got over 50" this year already.

I don't doubt it. For the past 3 weeks it has rained all but a day or so and probably will not rain today but we have an 80% chance for tomorrow. My garden is taking a huge hit because of all the moisture.

Another person told me that someone who keeps up with the rain said we have had over 40 inches and that was on Father's day before the storm moved in.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 08:32:13 am »
I see stuff dying and I can look and just about guess "wet feet". This includes weeds.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 09:48:06 am »
Yep. I lost so many tomatoes because of the rain. We got one more day of no rain hopefully before it starts again. Hopefully I can get to my honey by then.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 09:24:27 am »
My tomatoes last about two days on the counter before they turn to mush.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 09:41:36 am »
I harvest a bunch yesterday but we are drying out now.

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 02:22:03 am »
I like Jim's idea best, but having actually been through these storms and seen the damage I don't know if anything will work.   :sad:

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 09:59:46 pm »
We're about tired of it in Georgia to.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 08:45:14 pm »
Give the girls swimming lessons, they do so much, so well, but swimming isn't one of them
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.

anything