Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hive notes  (Read 7232 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: hive notes
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2020, 10:05:25 pm »
I would never write on the cover because it is under the boxes when I open a hive.  I have heard too many stories of lost queens on the ground if you put nothing under the box when you take them off.

I do not see an advantage of keeping notes on an inner cover either ace, if that is what you are referring too? Some may?  Personally I use a one piece, flat, cut to fit top. No inner cover. When the hive is reassembled the new updated notes are made below the last one. Simple and effective.  Almost too simple. lol

.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 03:22:57 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2020, 08:29:32 am »
Phil not the inner cover the top cover.  It is turned upside down on the ground.  As you take off boxes you stack them on the cover.  This keeps the queen from getting lost on the ground.  The inner cover is usually laid along side the bottom box (opposite the top cover) so the bees on it can go back in the hive.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2020, 08:53:05 am »
Phil not the inner cover the top cover.  It is turned upside down on the ground.  As you take off boxes you stack them on the cover.  This keeps the queen from getting lost on the ground.  The inner cover is usually laid along side the bottom box (opposite the top cover) so the bees on it can go back in the hive.

This is my method also Brian. I use the top in the same manner. It also keeps grass an derbies off the edge of the boxes.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2020, 02:01:10 pm »
Judy and I write notes on an envelope and keep the envelopes on top of the insulation in the screen top boards.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2020, 08:24:04 am »

This is my method also Brian. I use the top in the same manner. It also keeps grass an derbies off the edge of the boxes.
Phil if your hive is one or two boxes writing notes on the lid might work.  But if it is 7 boxes I can't remember what's going on in which box by the time I retrieve the lid.  If you are not selling bees or raising queens I really don't see the need for notes for a guy like me that doesn't open a hive just to see what is in it.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2020, 08:26:38 am »
Judy and I write notes on an envelope and keep the envelopes on top of the insulation in the screen top boards.
Jim Altmiller
Be honest Jim Judy is writing the notes.  :smile:
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2020, 02:24:36 pm »

Phil if your hive is one or two boxes writing notes on the lid might work.  But if it is 7 boxes I can't remember what's going on in which box by the time I retrieve the lid.  If you are not selling bees or raising queens I really don't see the need for notes for a guy like me that doesn't open a hive just to see what is in it.

There has been some good stuff posted here on note taking. A very good topic that Bob has originated. I?m not suggesting you should or should not take notes. I simply answered the question explaining how I do it in post 37 .🐝

« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 03:20:10 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2020, 06:33:09 pm »
Jim Altmiller
Be honest Jim Judy is writing the notes.  :smile:
Okay, I admit it.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Drraccoon

• New Bee
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2020, 05:23:23 pm »
Brick, Duct tape & sharpie for abbreviated notes on hive for general stuff, then more specific sticky dirty notes transcribed to my iPad. I tried using my phone/iPad there but too messy. Then I need to remember what my abbreviations mean.
Proverbs 16:24