Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: AFB in NZ
« Last post by Ben Framed on Today at 11:26:53 am »
How terrible.  A beekeeper's worst nightmare.  :cry:

So True!
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Swarm Catching
« Last post by Terri Yaki on Today at 10:55:38 am »
It seems as though this small bunch of bees camped out in the swarm trap last night. At the crack of dawn, they were peeking out the front door and they are flying around the hive a little bit but my nuc hive is not doing much flying at all. We have a cool, rainy day here today.
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Bucket Feed Question
« Last post by Kathyp on Today at 10:20:30 am »
I am just feeding swarm captures to get them up to speed.

I'd just cover the bucket with an empty and lid in the future.

Swarms come with full bellies.  I usually feed them for a few days to anchor them and until they get oriented to the hive.  If there is any kind of flow in your area that's all they need. 

If it was small enough to put in a nuc, it might need extra help, but again, you risk encouraging robbing if the swarm is small and you have full hives around it, not to mention outside robbers.  Direct feeding helps, but the syrup will still attract others.

I'd be interested to know what's going on inside a 5 frame nuc taking that much syrup. 
« Last post by Caashenb on Today at 08:46:08 am »
Just be kind of careful with open feeding.  Later in summer it may attract unwanted pests and robbers.  Another good reason to put your jar/bucket/etc. in an empty deep over the inner cover and cover the empty.

Yeah I do not want to open feed especially at this time. I am just feeding swarm captures to get them up to speed. I have other colonies in this yard putting up honey so I want directed feeding. I have been feeding with four quart jars in a cover with a deep hive body over them but that is getting quite cumbersome and I am trying to use the hive bodies elsewhere. I acquired some frame feeders and am using those now but not in NUC's
« Last post by Caashenb on Today at 08:18:33 am »
I use buckets all the time. I moved to them 3 or 4 yrs ago I have not had the problem you are addressing. That being said please explain in a little more detail what you saw. Might not be the feeder per say might be the Holes/screen the lid not being sealed etc.,etc., etc.,

Sorry I misunderstood. Your saying the water is running under the bucket?

It was not the feeder pail leaking it was full. It seems the water ran under the bucket and into the hole in the cover even though the cover and bucket seemed to be level and tight fitting. All bees were on bottom board soaking wet and dead when I check on them after the heavy rains I mentioned. This is the only pail feeder I had attempted to use so far a picture attached. All I can figure is the heavy rain flowed under the pail and into the hole.
Just be kind of careful with open feeding.  Later in summer it may attract unwanted pests and robbers.  Another good reason to put your jar/bucket/etc. in an empty deep over the inner cover and cover the empty.
I agree.  It will also feed all the bees within 3 miles, making you waste syrup and potentially ruining someone else's honey crop by lacing it with sugar water. 
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Swarm Catching
« Last post by Terri Yaki on May 17, 2024, 10:36:27 pm »
OK, thanks. I opened the bottom box, which has empty frames in it and I can see, and there were a few bees in there and some came out when I opened the window. They either went back home for the night or moved up into the top box, which I can't see into without a ladder and some effort because when I checked at dusk, all activity had ceased. The bee cam is nice because it alerts me to activity and I can watch them live.
TOP BAR HIVES - WARRE HIVES - LONG HIVES / Re: A full 30 frame Layens
« Last post by Bill Murray on May 17, 2024, 10:20:08 pm »
Just my personal opinion NO. But with that said keep an eye out. My personal opinion isnt always correct. It depends on temp, humidity,and the dirt above the hive.
« Last post by Bill Murray on May 17, 2024, 09:47:59 pm »
I use buckets all the time. I moved to them 3 or 4 yrs ago I have not had the problem you are addressing. That being said please explain in a little more detail what you saw. Might not be the feeder per say might be the Holes/screen the lid not being sealed etc.,etc., etc.,

Sorry I misunderstood. Your saying the water is running under the bucket?
« Last post by Kathyp on May 17, 2024, 09:45:02 pm »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
anything