Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello Frpm SEPA  (Read 7501 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Hello Frpm SEPA
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2023, 09:26:02 pm »
I have used a paint scraper/putty knife since I got bees.

yup.  I consider that an essential tool too.  Especially for scraping propolis if it builds up.  That and the long bread knife for cutting comb apart if they get messy. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2023, 09:45:33 pm »
I use a standard 9 in. hive tool for cracking boxes, scraping boxes, and scooping out powder sugar for a sugar roll.  I use my 4 in. mini J-hook tool for cracking and lifting frames.  (If anyone knows where I can get another one of those, please let me know.  I got it at a bee store in Pickens, SC, and I have never been able to find another one.)  I use a cheap paring knife for cutting out misdrawn comb or drone comb.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2023, 10:56:04 pm »
a lot of companies have a 6" hive tool like the first pic. for between 5 bucks and 12 (exorbitant shipping) the amazon link is for 2 @ 8.92 with free shipping if you have prime.

https://www.amazon.com/Ipetboom-Stainless-Beekeeping-Equipment-Beekeepers/dp/B09X1CYV75/ref=sr_1_3?crid=PWCB8HLYO8MB&keywords=mini+hive+tool&qid=1695865504&sprefix=mini+hive+tool%2Caps%2C127&sr=8-3

The second pic is of a "European style" tool that looked promising to me. What would you guys' opinion of it be ?
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2023, 12:04:54 am »
@Reagan. Is this what you are looking for? The description fits your request "Mini J Hook Pocket Hive Tool". If so it looks like the first one one animal has pictured above. May be the same thing?

Has anyone used the second style pictured by animal above?

https://www.foxhoundbeecompany.com/products/mini-hive-tool
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2023, 12:07:07 am »
The problem with all of those is the J-hook itself looks too shallow.  Mine is much more of a curve.  I'll take a picture of it and show you guys tomorrow. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2023, 12:11:05 am »
Ok thanks, you have my curiosity going.. I feel like I may be missing out on something good!!! lol

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2023, 10:38:34 am »
That's totally fair, and that's another thing to remember about all these tools in beekeeping.  There are particular situations or particular people they are helpful for, but as a newbee, you don't yet know what it is you need or want, so it's best to stick with the basics.  But then, once you have a little experience, if you find yourself thinking, "I wish this particular thing was easier", there is probably a tool to help you.  And if not, you can make one.  :happy:
This is pretty much my approach on a lot of stuff. I have more at my disposal than the 'normal' person. I have an array of crow bars, big and small, steel, and plastic (for car panel removal). Plus, I have an anvil, acetylene torch, large vise and a few machine tools so I can customize any of the bars that I already have. I will look into various hive and frame handling tools and see what I get out of them. I also understand that sometimes it's cheaper to just buy something. I also have a set of mongo sized channel locks that have removed otherwise impossible oil filters. I'll see what kind of help they prove to be.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2023, 10:41:19 am »
The most important thing in my opinion is to have 'plenty' of extra woodware and having it 'on hand'. I can not stress this enough..

Phillip

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2023, 10:58:18 am »
One machine that I don't have but am on the lookout for is a bandsaw. I could cut a custom hive tool out of stuff on my scrap pile with a good bandsaw.
The most important thing in my opinion is to have 'plenty' of extra woodware and having it 'on hand'. I can not stress this enough..

Phillip
I got two, four-box hives expecting that they should provide a little extra woodware. What would recommendations bee to add to that?

Online animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2023, 11:04:51 am »
do you have a hand grinder and cut-off blades ? That and a belt sander can do more than most would believe.
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2023, 12:00:41 pm »
I got two, four-box hives expecting that they should provide a little extra woodware. What would recommendations bee to add to that?

I always like to have a couple extra tops and bottoms.  If you need to split or have an opportunity to catch a swarm, they will come in handy.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2023, 04:00:13 pm »
"I got two, four-box hives expecting that they should provide a little extra woodware. What would recommendations bee to add to that?"

Do you expect of have two colonies of bees for these two set ups? And if yes when do you expect to obtain them?

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2023, 04:30:24 pm »
do you have a hand grinder and cut-off blades ? That and a belt sander can do more than most would believe.
Yes I do and for some reason, I never consider using a cutoff wheel. That might be because it's fairly new to me and I'm not onto how handy it is. Thanks.

I always like to have a couple extra tops and bottoms.  If you need to split or have an opportunity to catch a swarm, they will come in handy.
It's kind of a long story but I did end up with an extra lid and will pick up at least another bottom. From what I've picked up, it looks like one brood box per hive will give me a good start so I'll have two extras for a little while.
"I got two, four-box hives expecting that they should provide a little extra woodware. What would recommendations bee to add to that?"

Do you expect of have two colonies of bees for these two set ups? And if yes when do you expect to obtain them?
I'm still not sure where I'll get the occupants from. I plan on taking a course with my local beekeepers club and hope to get some guidance from them. They have members who sell nucs and ultimately, if I could lure in a couple of springs swarms, I would really like that. Maybe go for some of both, buy a nuc an leave a baited hive or two out and see what I can catch.

I did my one multi-quote system here, hope it posts up OK

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2023, 04:49:10 pm »

"I'm still not sure where I'll get the occupants from. I plan on taking a course with my local beekeepers club and hope to get some guidance from them. They have members who sell nucs and ultimately, if I could lure in a couple of springs swarms, I would really like that. Maybe go for some of both, buy a nuc an leave a baited hive or two out and see what I can catch."

In that case you should have plenty of woodware for now..

Phillip

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2023, 05:07:59 pm »
And I'm am a passive buyer of things, I'm on the lookout and hopeful that I will find some extra boxes and frames on the cheap somewhere like an auction or through an acquaintance. Maybe even barter something for some stuff.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2023, 05:27:15 pm »
Maybe even barter something for some stuff.

You are off to a good start.  You really don't need a lot to get started and you can pick more up as you find the need.  I was lucky when I started and the widow of a beekeeper was selling his stuff as a lot.  I got everything I needed and much I never used, all at once. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 10:52:51 am by Kathyp »
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2023, 06:20:39 pm »
Sorry about the delay, everyone.  Here is my mini hive tool.  See how it's more curved than the ones that Foxhound sells? 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2023, 12:51:34 am »
I have not seen one quite like this one Reagan.

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2023, 12:18:33 pm »
Sorry about the delay, everyone.  Here is my mini hive tool.  See how it's more curved than the ones that Foxhound sells?
Now that would be simple to make with a cutoff wheel. Thanks

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2024, 06:46:35 pm »
We had an awesome day today so I went out and made a hive tool. It's not stamped or laser cut so it's not perfect but it seems to work OK on the assembled hive that I have in the garage. What do yas think? It is about 1/8" thick and I ground an edge on the large end in case one might want to scrape with it. Though I don't know how well it would work for that not having a big surface on the other end for pushing. I figure I'll find out.

anything