Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: what is everyone seeing?  (Read 23294 times)

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
Re: what is everyone seeing?
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2015, 11:48:51 pm »
I know that Jim, I was just being facetious. Im happy for you brother. Hopefully Old Man winter will pack up his gear before long here. Jonesing for a buildup. Just a nervous time thats all. Keep up the good work and advice, its always appreciated. G
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2015, 11:51:13 pm »
68 today with bees flying. Celebrating our 27th wedding anniversary, so i can't open the hive until Monday. Something about priorities...

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2015, 09:20:15 am »
Never let a woman get in the way of a hive inspection!

just kidding. Congratulations! Good thing you remembered.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2015, 06:04:25 pm »
I checked my 2 colonies a few days ago and started feeding. I could not get into one because they were rowdy. The other more gentle one I examined Till I got a good look at a frame with one side filled with capped brood. Closed it up as quick as I could so not to chill to much. Looking good. d2

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2015, 11:55:08 pm »
Up in the mid 50s today for the first time in a few weeks, the bees were flyin. Also see the maples are budded up pretty good. Come on spring, hang in there girls!! G
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2015, 02:00:48 am »
i saw some geese flying east/north east today.  not sure what to make of that.  i guess they could have been going to a different pond or moving from the chattahoochee to the flint.  but they weren't headed south if that means anything. 

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2015, 08:49:00 pm »
I went into 11 of my hives today. I wanted to see what was the status of them. What I didn't see was drone cells. I did see where they had started laying again. I went ahead and marked the queens. I had a late swarm last October. The best I can tell is the queen wasn't mated. She hasn't laid any eggs since they swarmed. Time for a combine.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2015, 10:19:52 pm »
I have lost 7 this winter. But the rest are bringing in pollen so I am hoping for the best. I have 50 nic boxes ready for the spring splits and swarm catching in the lower counties when they put out the pollinator hives. I have friends who have picked up as many as 50 swarms in a day form the counties all from the side of he roads.
Hope to get at least a dozen or so myself this year if I can get out there.

John

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2015, 07:37:02 am »
I have lost 7 this winter. But the rest are bringing in pollen so I am hoping for the best. I have 50 nic boxes ready for the spring splits and swarm catching in the lower counties when they put out the pollinator hives. I have friends who have picked up as many as 50 swarms in a day form the counties all from the side of he roads.

John

...and where do you live..,

(lol)

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2015, 03:29:10 pm »
i see a little pollen coming in today.  light yellowish gray. 

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2015, 09:30:43 pm »

John
E
...and where do you live..,

I looked out side and all I see are trees fields and a drive. I think I live in the middle of nowheresville  :tongue: :wink:

John

Once the swarms leave the fields they are wild and free for the getting. Just make sure you know the property lines.
(lol)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 07:33:44 pm by divemaster1963 »

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2015, 09:39:27 pm »
divemaster, it never crossed my mind about the pollinator hives swarming. But then again, it's what bees do. That's a hoot.

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2015, 04:07:37 am »
All this talk of bee activity is getting me anxious for spring.
High today around 58. Just a few bees flying. I didn't stay long and didn't see any bee bringing pollen back. But they are still alive so I'm happy  :cheesy:
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2015, 10:31:56 am »

Picture of SE Indiana bees peacefully marching on MLK Day.
Upside down apparently.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 10:48:08 am by jvalentour »

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2015, 11:20:26 am »
I haven't looked in any of my 19 hives yet. I did a walk by inspection yesterday. Everybody is flying. Bring in pollen. Yellow, white, and red. Hives are still pretty heavy. I put out more syrup for open feeding, just to make sure everybody is set, when the weather snaps back cold. I assume the red maple is blooming here too. Will a a hard freeze kill it back? Will it restart as someone posted above?

Offline Beewildered61

• House Bee
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2015, 07:26:35 pm »
My bees have been steady busy in and out...walked down to look after I got home this evening, one hive was in for the night, it was 52F, the other two hives still had bees going in and out. My biggest, oldest kinda worries me, there are three streams of ants going up the hive on three sides and some were on the front of the hive, and the hive smelled kinda strong. It looks like trouble, but I don't get home til right before dark, supposed to be a high of 49 Sat, and partly cloudy and 58 Sunday...I won't be at ease till I know if something is wrong.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2015, 11:13:24 am »
i'd at least tap on the side of that hive and listen for some buzzing.  if it's a dead out and you may not have any salvageable comb when you do go into it.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2015, 02:10:17 pm »

Picture of SE Indiana bees peacefully marching on MLK Day.
Upside down apparently.
You need to knock that off. 😀
I turned my iPhone around to look at it and the picture just flipped upside down again.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Beewildered61

• House Bee
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2015, 07:55:32 pm »
i'd at least tap on the side of that hive and listen for some buzzing.  if it's a dead out and you may not have any salvageable comb when you do go into it.

Oh no, there are bees flying in and out even til almost dark....but the amount of ants make me think something's up in there...unfortunately I won't be able to look until Sunday

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2015, 07:59:23 pm »
Wrap legs of stand with paper tape and apply thin coat of vaseline?  Or wold that affect bees?  Don't see how it could be worse than ants.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944