Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: buckwheat  (Read 3735 times)

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
buckwheat
« on: June 14, 2014, 05:20:09 pm »
my buckwheat looks so much better this year than it did last year.  my bees were working it at high noon today.  it's hard to believe that such white flowers can produce a honey that looks like burnt motor oil.

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
Re: buckwheat
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 06:44:31 pm »
Wonderful stuff!

Nothing like a heavy Buckwheat bloom.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 08:02:24 pm »
i haven't eaten it in a long time but remember absolutely hating it when i did.  i have a dearth this time of the year so i plant it so the bees have something to do before i make next splits.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 09:09:39 pm »
10framer,

My little test planting of buckwheat finally came up and started blooming at about 4 inches height.  You're right, they are pretty little white blossoms.  I'll plant some more, but not so deep this time.

Gary
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 09:23:31 pm »
Is buckwheat like clover? Does it come back each year after planting?

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 09:47:41 pm »
"Is buckwheat like clover? Does it come back each year after planting?"

If it goes to seed it will come back. I think it's considered an invasive plant.

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 09:56:52 pm »

Reply with quoteQuote
"i haven't eaten it in a long time but remember absolutely hating it when i did.  i have a dearth this time of the year so i plant it so the bees have something to do before i make next splits."

It took me a while to acquire a taste for it. Now I think it is pretty good. Seems around here, half the people think it's great, and the other half think it's awful.

It's nice it blooms so quick, I can take all the clover or light honey off, and get a second crop of buckwheat.

It sure is good for you though, and works very well on coughs.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 11:23:28 pm »
steve, i have some coming up in my okra right now and i planted that area last year.
next year i'm going to plant a few acres.
dallas, mine is about a foot tall.  last year it only got about 6 inches and had maybe 1/4 of the blooms but the seed i used was old.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 01:06:46 am »
I have a wildflower park near me i'd like to see buckwheat becoming invasive in.  It's probably 30 acres of wild area.  Buckwheat would just be another wild thing that would feed the bees..  Do they get as much pollin as nectar from it?  Vice versa?
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 04:40:40 am »
I think if you get caught spreading seed in a wildlife park you are going to be in some serious doo doo. but I am just guessing really. maybe they'd like it.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 12:14:22 pm »
Those "wildflowers" didn't get there on their own.  There are many non-native varieties growing in the park, which was once part of a farm.  Other parts became the subdivisions surrounding it and the original farm's owner gave acreage along a creek to the City for park land. 

Gary

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 12:20:37 pm »
Where can I get some seeds?

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 12:38:35 pm »
Will it grow in shaded areas?

Steve

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 01:04:45 pm »
Will it grow in shaded areas?

Steve

I doubt it.  Few annuals, particularly grains, grow well in shade.  But it doesn't do well in hottest part of summer and is grown commercially only up north in the U.S.

Where to get seed?  Try area farm stores.  Or order online.  i Googled it and got prices ranging from 25 pounds for $29.95 to 1 pound for $5.00, Plus shipping cost in both cases, I suspect.  Bulk would be less.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 10:24:09 pm »
Buckwheat is good for the soil as it roots deeply and fixes nitrogen,It is also an excellent green manure when tilled in. It does flower pretty profusely,however the nectar shuts off abruptly mid to late morning and bees will become testy if nothing else is blooming to occupy them the remainder of the day. Up North it's definitely an annual and likes to die back if frost is even forecast in the newspaper. ;)

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 11:48:15 pm »
steve, i had to have the feed store in box springs order a bag for me.  it was $40.00 for 50 pounds.
ken, i've always heard that it shut down too but mine were covering it up around noon today.  i have it planted on a north west slope so it may not be getting full sun until about that time of day. 

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 12:13:51 am »
I plant buckwheat here every year.
From the time the seed sprouts it will bloom in 21 days or so and stay blooming for a few weeks.
I usually plant a new batch every 4 weeks in different locations.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 07:42:22 am »
Ya buckwheat usually does extremely well up here in Michigan. I've grown it a few times in the past, but haven't the last few years. It is really healthy stuff to eat as well as the honey from it, and great as a cover and rotation crop. I usually plant it later though. The saying is a extra 60 lbs/acre of honey for a hive. Though sayings are just that, sayings.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 02:23:49 pm »
yeah, i'm not seeing that extra 60 pounds but it's giving them something to do in what was a dearth last year.

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 09:18:44 pm »
Ya...lots of sayings out there, lol.

anything