Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: the flow is finally on  (Read 2836 times)

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
the flow is finally on
« on: May 07, 2014, 09:43:27 am »
bees are finally drawing out and filling supers.  i'm behind on equipment building again.

Offline blanc

• House Bee
Re: the flow is finally on
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 09:50:44 am »
I run out as fast as I can build em  :roll: Ordering equiptment as we speak lol
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 10:01:55 am »
 Spring flow is starting way up here as well with maple, willow, forsythia and every other early spring bloomer. I've seen a few dandelions so my field should be turning yellow within a few weeks.

Offline Ryan820

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 10:41:02 am »
What is the definition of a flow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 12:09:05 pm »
ryan, my strongest hives have drawn out and filled most of a medium in 3 or 4 days and i'm adding more supers. that's my definition of the flow.  hopefully i'll get to extract a dozen supers and get them filled again this fall.  i'm planting my buckwheat today so it should be out shortly after the privet finishes up.  then it's a long dearth until the fall flows start.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 12:32:45 pm »
blanc, it's kind of a good problem to have.  i've got several mediums ready but i was wanting to get more deep comb drawn out earlier.  i'm thinking about just wintering in a single deep with a single medium this year or double 5 frame deeps.  next year i'll add deeps at the beginning of the flows.  i'm supering today then i have to get a chicken coop built so i can get my pullets out of the shop next week.  i've got too many projects going and 'm busy with work.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 03:37:13 pm »
What is the definition of a flow?

Ryan, not sure you will find a written definition of the word as a beekeeping term. It is a term that most beekeepers use when they begin to see enough nectar begin to come in a hive that it appears the bees are bringing in enough to gather a surplus. For me,in my area. during a flow you will begin to see the signs of white was in the hive on the frames and the capping of the honey frames. This means the wax makng of the bees in in full force and is evident due to the amount of nectar coming in. Some do not agree the white wax is a sign of the flow but a lot of beekeepers reference the flow and white wax together.

Well guys I gave it a stab in my words..... help me out if I was wrong or unclear :-D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 09:33:45 am by sc-bee »
John 3:16

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 03:43:33 pm »
Not that I am a Wikipedia fan but her is their definition:

Honey flow is a term used by beekeepers indicating that one or more major nectar sources are in bloom and the weather is favorable for bees to fly and collect the nectar in abundance.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 04:05:15 pm »
Flow=High bee activity. You can tell whem they're really working something.  It's almost a frenzy. But SC gave the correct answer.
Later,
Ray

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 04:22:00 pm »
what are yall seeing up in south carolina?  i would think that you'd be ahead of me ray.  sounds like steve's area might be more similar to mine.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 05:10:54 pm »
what are yall seeing up in south carolina?  i would think that you'd be ahead of me ray.  sounds like steve's area might be more similar to mine.

Past white wax by about 2 weeks now. Activity is fast paced. About as busy as I've seen based on external activity. I'll know more friday. Looking forward to a good report. Its been 5 days since I've been able to look in.
Later,
Ray

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 09:29:39 pm »
Ray is closer to the coast and two three weeks ahead of me. I am in the upper mid-state and bees are struggling to draw white wax.

Offline dprater

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 10:03:27 pm »
 :) :) :) Pulled a 8 frame medium today that was 100% capped, got a little over 1/2 of a five gal. bucket, capping still dripping,  :) :) :). Other hives have about half of each frame capped. Third year and with 5 strong over winter hives.   Added 7 more hives this year, 2 false swarms I made, 3 swarms I caught and two NUCs from cell in one hive, :-D :-D :-D.

Looks good here, hope yall have a good year too.

dan

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 11:57:06 pm »
i'm not getting capped honey yet.  maybe in another week or so.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 08:50:38 am »
Sea of yellow dandelions around here now.
We're on our way to swarm season if it ever warms up.

Offline johng

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 05:55:45 pm »
Yep it's rocking along here too!! :lol: and the Gallberry is just now starting to get right. Most hives have at least 3 supers full already and some working on 5.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 09:15:09 pm »
The privet is in full bloom. It has a sweet smell and makes good honey. I added the third super to one of my hives.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 10:43:47 pm »
steve it's already about half out around me.  a lot of people really hate privet honey and say it tastes bitter.  to me it's just really sweet.  it's not my favorite but it i have a hive drawing out it's third medium of foundation and i'm hoping to get at least another one from them. 
if the weather will allow it i'm planting buckwheat this weekend.

Offline Beewildered61

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2014, 03:48:03 pm »
Privet is in full bloom here....was looking at it this morning. I don't see any bees on it, they must have something better to focus on.  :?