Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: i know you guys up north will laugh but  (Read 9812 times)

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: i know you guys up north will laugh but
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2014, 11:53:45 pm »
As of 11pm, we’re -30F windchill, -15F actual temp, and 20” of snow.  We’ve been having some ice quakes and various booms and bangs as sheathing and materials contract with the cold.  Wish I was someplace tropical like Finland about now  :laugh:

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2014, 06:22:11 am »
If we are to believe the climate experts (scientists, not talking heads), well over 90% of them agree that besides global warming, extremes in weather will become our new normal.  There's been enough evidence for me to see (feel) it, how about the rest of you?

Increasing wind speed is a prediction that could become an issue for many around the globe.  Some scientists have determined a future when the wind never stops blowing.  Sailing anyone? :-D

Only 21 below this AM, tomorrow begins our January thaw with a predicted high of 4….that's 4 above  :laugh:
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2014, 06:33:33 am »
Bluebee;

Yesterday was the first time I ever heard the term "Frost Quakes". Read about it happening in Canada. Interesting.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2014, 06:58:31 am »
Bluebee;

Yesterday was the first time I ever heard the term "Frost Quakes". Read about it happening in Canada. Interesting.

This is perfect weather to witness 'frost quakes'  the more still it is the better to hear them.  Trees, lakes and structures all responding with CRACKS,  BANGS and BOOMS to the freeze up.  Its like the planet is talking IMO  8-)  Nothing quite like standing near a tee that lets out a frost quake.  It'll shake you to your boots.

Was hoping for some sun spot activity, as the extreme cold brings about the best Northern Lights shows.  Alas, its not happening this time around.

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2014, 10:57:48 am »
If we are to believe the climate experts (scientists, not talking heads), well over 90% of them agree that besides global warming, extremes in weather will become our new normal.  There's been enough evidence for me to see (feel) it, how about the rest of you?

Increasing wind speed is a prediction that could become an issue for many around the globe.  Some scientists have determined a future when the wind never stops blowing.  Sailing anyone? :-D

Only 21 below this AM, tomorrow begins our January thaw with a predicted high of 4….that's 4 above  :laugh:

Well, keep in mind that the politically correct, get my research funded, get my name in the journals, crowd are dead-set against any person who disagrees with them. It is status-quo to believe in man-made global warming. If you disagree, you are not considered a scientist, nor are you intelligent. Many intelligent people look at the recorded weather history we do have, and believe that the weather patterns on this earth repeated in cycles. These cycles are slow. We could see a generation or two of extreme hot or cold, or wind, or all of it. For those generations, it will be rough before things swing again to a better climate situation. From what I've been reading and hearing, some scientist even back in the '70's were saying that we should expect to feel a shift toward cold weather now.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen or heard about very smart people being dead wrong, even in the area of their expertise. Doctors who said this person didn't have 3 days to live, and the person is alive and well 1.5 years later. Doctors telling the family it was time to pull the plug, and when they do, mom sits up and asks what all the fuss is about. Scientists who say that there is absolutely no way that there is an intelligent designer who created matter and life, and yet they have absolutely no hint of an idea how matter came to be. They are so smart that they can't believe in a God who always has been, and yet they do believe that matter always has been. I'm just saying, because someone is called a scientist, or they have a few letters after their name, that doesn't mean they know how to come in out of the rain.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2014, 11:51:59 am »
And 'if' they (scientists) are right?  

While I agree that historically speaking weather patterns have moved slow, especially when compared with the average life span of humans, the current 'changes' haven't been very slow at all, but seem to be actually increasing.  People who pay close attention to social trends will tell you, and most folks instinctively can 'feel' that 'everything' is speeding up, everything has gotten faster and everything is getting faster.  The proof is literally everywhere.

I've got an old friend, a professor in Anthropology who has conducted extensive studies on past civilizations, mostly involving their RISE and FALL, seems ALL civilizations eventually have fallen and nearly 100% of the time for the same reasons (but that's for another day and another thread).  

What's important to this topic and your opinion is this; He tells me we got the 2012 Mayan (long count) calendar all wrong, describing it more like a 16 billion year calendar outlining 13 separate phases in the "advancement of consciousness" in the universe, starting before the BIG BANG when there was only emptiness or space.  Each phase speeds up 20 times faster than the last and actually has great historical significance, mind boggling, I know.  Anyhow, According to my friends explanation, we just entered the last phase which will be 20 times 'faster' (consciousness advancement) than the last phase we just left.  A consciousness advancing phase lasting a 'single' generation instead of the 20 it took us to advance this far.  We can only hope, watch and wait…and maybe pray some too.

A Very interesting, albeit controversial concept to ponder.  

CONSIDER;  How did the Mayan 'know' the universe began some 16 billion years ago and that we'd enter a final phase long after their own passing?

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2014, 03:44:22 pm »
<What 'if' they (scientists) are right?>
Well, those scientists and talking heads who believe in man-made global warming have pretty much had sway in policy and law in many developed nations for some time now. Not all. But if the tide can be turned, they are on the right track to do so.

What if they are wrong? They received tons of money to fund research. They made a career of a lie (whether genuinely believed by them or not). Some people built companies and fortunes selling a lie to a public that wanted to believe what they were fed. Governments of developed nations needlessly impeded or stopped the production of coal energy and the development of oil production/refinement in order to save the environment from a non-threat. Prices increased for everyone. Hundreds of thousands of jobs lost or never created in the name of junk science. But this is all hypothetical. If the world endures another 500 years, no matter what the weather does, there will still be smart people on both sides of this issue. Neither side can claim 100% certainty with credibility.

The Mayan (long count) calendar thought is interesting. I do not believe the Mayan's did "know" when the world would end. According to the Bible, which I believe to be true, that information is only known by the Creator and Sustainer of life. He didn't tell His son Jesus, while he was on this earth, so I doubt He told the Mayans. Others on here surely have a different opinion, and are welcome to it. According to Genesis 8:22, God promised Noah that as long as the earth endures, there will be summer and winter, cold and heat, seedtime and harvest. Doesn't say where the summer and heat and harvest will be on the earth. It could be that everything flips around. But this earth will always have hot and cold as long as there is an earth.   

For those who keep bees in the northern hemisphere, it appears that we are entering into a colder winter season, for whatever reason. Whether it lasts a decade, or a hundred years, we probably need to look at better ways to over-winter bees in colder climate. 5 years from now, North Carolina's easy winter climate might look more like today's Maine. Who knows??? So...insulated hives? Small bee huts with heat sources inside? Electric blankets? Or it could go the other way. 5 years from now, Maine's winter could look like Southern Florida today. Good thing we can talk to people on the internet and see how to work in different climates.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2014, 04:57:45 pm »
Never said the Mayans knew when the 'world' would end  :?  Never mentioned an end to anything.  

As implied, the subject you speak of is relative not certain.  Certainty in all forms deserves our utmost scrutiny wherever and whenever its found.  Be it science or religion or politics.

chux;  Personally I hope the scientists are all wrong and you're right.

The 'infinite' heating and cooling (boiling and freezing) of the planet is a very safe bet.   Whether any life survives the potential extremes is a guess at best.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 06:53:52 am by T Beek »

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2014, 08:10:49 pm »
For those who keep bees in the northern hemisphere, it appears that we are entering into a colder winter season, for whatever reason. Whether it lasts a decade, or a hundred years, we probably need to look at better ways to over-winter bees in colder climate.

1 month of normal winter weather doesn't suggest we are entering into a 10 year or 100 year cold cycle.  I suspect just the opposite, based on data, but the systems are too complex to know for sure.  

This current cold spell has been brutal, but this is more like it used to be in Michigan.  The media likes to sensationalize everything to get an audience; it’s what they do.  Despite their new “polar vortex” mongering, it was colder here the winter after Mt Pinatubo exploded.  The amount of incoming watts from the Sun plays a big role in temps.

The bees really thrive in our normal milder and wetter summers.  I would rather suffer through some bitter cold than endure 6 months of the heat and humidity y'all get down south.  So I hope the planet isn’t on an accelerated warm up cycle.  However there is enough data to make a person worry… if you look at data.  

As for the bees, I know how to keep them warm.  My homemade insulated hives work well here and if for some reason the bees are still cold, I have about 50 electric bee blankets I can deploy  :-D  

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2014, 09:17:25 pm »
33* this morning....no sun on the hives and I saw scouts leave the hive...not much activity all day...but I was definately surprised to see them at that temperature.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2014, 11:41:09 pm »
I guess it bottomed out at -29 here two nights ago but it was 37 today and gradually up to 50 on Saturday but with winds up to 100mph, compression heating over the Rockies.  It can literally blow empty trains off the track. 

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2014, 11:58:51 pm »
vance my friend from montana just posted pictures on facebook of the fish she caught in the keys today.  seems like she's got it figured out.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2014, 12:00:55 am »
carol, it never made it to 33 today but we did at least have some sun.  i took my feist to the park and let him chase squirrels because he was getting stir crazy.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2014, 07:48:27 am »
>If we are to believe the climate experts (scientists, not talking heads), well over 90% of them agree that besides global warming, extremes in weather will become our new normal.  There's been enough evidence for me to see (feel) it, how about the rest of you?

First, they didn't start saying that until the evidence seemed to be other than warming.  Second, no, I have not seen that.  I've seen -40 three different winters in my life and none of them were recent.  I've seen 114 F once in Nebraska and that was not recent either.  Recently the weather has been much LESS extreme in my experience.  I could use some global warming right now...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2014, 09:53:22 am »
Many folks that grew up in Central/Eastern NC back in the 1950's, have told me that they remember colder winters. Some in the generation before that said it was even colder. Keep in mind that they didn't have the insulation and heat sources that we enjoy today. It just seemed colder to them as they look back through time. We warmed up a bit. Now we are a bit cooler this year. Some say that trend will go for a decade or two. Maybe. Seems to me that these things just cycle. Point is, let's learn all we can from each other so that we are ready for whatever comes weather-wise.

BlueBee, can I get a truck full of those nifty electric blankets just in case???

I've got one hive I'm concerned about with this cold. Three frame deep with 3 medium frames of honey on top. They are struggling a bit. Looks like we may get warm enough for the next week to feed a little. Hold off on the electric blankets.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2014, 09:56:26 am »
yeah, it seems like this happened a little more often when i was a kid.  i remember lows pushing 0 down here a couple of times and 105 as highs more often than i've seen in the last few years.  in 89 we had a freeze like this around christmas that lasted more than 3 days and then it was hitting the mid 70's by the first week in february.  the first couple of weeks of february that year was the best bass fishing i've ver done (and i used to do a lot).  i was in a boat on a lake wearing shorts and pulling in a fish almost every cast for two weeks in winter.  as recently as '99 we had a big freeze around the first week of january.  we were past due, i hope it wipes out the gnat populations in middle georgia.  it's a shame that the beetles winter with the bees.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2014, 09:57:45 am »
People have been talking about climate extremes for a very long time.  Some of the worlds former societies succumbed due to weather extremes.  

Its not a new topic, unless its being discussed under a political agenda context, which these days……well, I guess we all can see how those discussions usually go  ;).  Been there , done that, right?  :laugh:

Integrating climate science and politics (or any science and politics);  That's a relatively new phenomena with its roots coming from 'land speculating fossil fuel tycoons' and their stockholders.  

Why do some see only what the liberals are up to (always bad) and ignore what todays 'phony' conservatives are up to?  Only half (or less) of the story is then visible.  As citizens of the world with two eyes, we should strive to keep 'both' open  :)

I remember a sci-fi book from the 50's I read as a kid that described our future "with near constant, unpredictable and damaging storms."  If I remember correctly, it was the Governments fault  :-D.

You know, America represents 'only' 2 % of the planet's surface.  Isn't 'anybody' else interested in the other 98% s weather?

"Temperature's rising, fever is high, can't see nobody, can't see the sky"…..….John Lennon
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 10:22:52 am by T Beek »

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2014, 10:18:07 am »
Wow, just 'double checked' the thermometer.  Its reading -29.  Predictions called for 4 above, so it better get moving  ;) its got 35 degrees to go.

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2014, 02:41:52 pm »
It was 18 degrees before sunrise this morning. By 9:00 or so, it was in the low 30's. There were bees hanging at the front of the hive. Girls flying around a bit. Now, at 1:30, it's 37 degrees out. By Saturday, we'll be back up to 68 for a high. Hmmm...I'd like to feed, but it will dip back into the 30's a few nights in the next week.

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2014, 03:02:22 pm »
I remember as a kid we lived in Vernon, NY. My Dad raced horses there. Track was closed during the winter but we stayed there and "winter" trained.   I remember so much snow we could walk up the drifts on one side of the barn clear up to the roof. And one year in NH, the snow was so bad a snow plow got drifted in as it was  plowing one of the side roads...I guess everyone is just getting soft and the youngsters have never had to deal with cold and snow...but they'll learn. Most people go from warm home to warm car to warm office, school etc.  I have always worked jobs that were outside...you tend to take notice of the weather then.

anything