Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tree Trap Out Advice  (Read 3123 times)

Offline Waveeater

• House Bee
Tree Trap Out Advice
« on: August 04, 2017, 11:52:42 am »
I'm going to attempt a trap out from an old tree. I tried to talk the homeowner into leaving them but its either trap out or they are calling the exterminator. I'm going today to take a look but from the photo it appears to be one entrance for now. Some questions I have are how large a hole should my cone have and should it be tilted upward so bees can fall back instead of blocking the entrance if they die. Should I put any stores in the trap box. I have also read that I should put a frame of eggs/larvae in the trap box so the bees can start a new queen. Should this be done on day one, or will the brood chill due to no nurse bees being present. Any advice would be appreciated from those with more experience.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Tree Trap Out Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 01:03:56 pm »
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Waveeater

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 09:15:31 pm »
Thank you sir for that very good information.

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 06:07:57 am »
Those links don't seem to be working (for me anyway), so I'd just add:
http://honeysunapiary.wordpress.com/tech-tools/hogans-bee-trap/
where you'll find 3x .pdf files for download.
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 07:49:53 am »
Links have been repaired.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Waveeater

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 08:25:14 am »
Update: For the time being the folks have decided to leave the bees in the tree and allow me to put a swarm trap up next spring.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 08:55:28 am »
I am doing a trapout in Greensboro now, if you want to see one in action.
Call me and I'll give you the address.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 10:09:36 pm »
Links have been repaired.

Now I can see the discussion I would like to add tuit.
But I am a shy bloke :-)
So I ask, first.

Interesting to find JP in that thread.. the fella reminds me
much of my youth and those days spent chasing new colonys.

Cheers.

Bill

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 10:15:01 pm »
JP is a good friend and an excellent bee remover. We have worked together for years, regretfully, from a distance most times. I wish we lived closer to each other.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 02:07:09 am »
JP is a good friend and an excellent bee remover. We have worked together for years, regretfully, from a distance most times. I wish we lived closer to each other.

I caught some video (last year) on recommendation, during a particularly difficult trapout - I call them "rescues", btw. No need to watch must past a few to identify someone with again what I call "a  bee mind"... "in the zone"  when working with a colony, so to speak.

Thanks for your time in response.

Bill