Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SWFL tupelo: 23 days in the ground  (Read 3863 times)

Offline swflcpl

• My blog
  • House Bee
SWFL tupelo: 23 days in the ground
« on: April 10, 2014, 02:22:07 pm »
It was a 1 gallon pot, about 31 inches tall when I got it from SC.  Now it has been in our sand around the pond for 23 days.  Today I noticed a flower on one of the trees, probably been there a couple of days.  Hopefully 1st of many for years to come.

Offline TenshiB

• House Bee
  • Your happiness is up to you.
Re: SWFL tupelo: 23 days in the ground
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 01:00:49 am »
Awesome! Where do ya find tupelo saplings to purchase? [=
The bees that do no work do not survive long. The people that do no work get rewarded.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 08:04:58 am »
Nice. Never thought a tree that young would be budding out. I have. black gum growing in my swamps at my farm. Never thought to try moving them to around my pond. How close did you plant them to the water?
I can't get near my swamps right now. Had 5 inches of rain the last two days. That after 4" last week.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline swflcpl

• My blog
  • House Bee
SWFL tupelo: 23 days in the ground
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 08:19:52 am »
I got them here http://mckenzie-farms.com/

Our pond rises and falls with the rainy season and dry season and the bank is gradual. I planted high enough on the bank so at least a foot of the trunk would be flooded completely from about July through October but the water is only 0-3 feet below the surface all other months. Once roots get going they should have no problem getting access to the saturated sand in the subsurface all year round.

Offline TenshiB

• House Bee
  • Your happiness is up to you.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 11:08:00 am »
My uncle, brother, and I recently purchased property by a creek. Would these trees be ok to plant beside the creek? I believe we have some black gum already growing out there. Maybe even some tupelo (which, isn't that black gum?).
The bees that do no work do not survive long. The people that do no work get rewarded.