Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Personal web page hosting  (Read 3198 times)

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Personal web page hosting
« on: October 30, 2010, 08:12:26 pm »
Sometime in the near future, I would like to have my own website. How do I go about starting this? Do I have to go through someone like GoDaddy and if so what are the benefits/fallbacks of doing so? What are most of you guys doing?

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
Re: Personal web page hosting
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 10:09:17 pm »
we use 1and1.com for hosting, and after years of writing html (and getting sick of having to rewrite things and ftp everytime we wanted to add something), started using joomla as a content management system (which is really a pleasure to use).

http://BeeUntoOthers.com and http://CIGBeekeeping.com

deknow

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Personal web page hosting
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 11:05:27 pm »
GoDaddy is a little pricey compared to others.   I use webhostingbuzz, but only because I host a lot of sites and they have the best reseller plan (at least when I bought in and they don't raise your price).   If your just looking to do your own personal thing,  check out FatCow.com they are really cheap,  give unlimited storage and bandwidth AND a free domain name.   I had an account with them for a while but ended up leaving because they don't allow CRON jobs (not something you need for a personal site anyway).   I would also look into wordpress as a platform.  It is support by almost all the webhosting folks and it has a huge following and plug ins.  I've used a lot of CMSs through the years, and to me, wordpress is the simplest for a beginner to get up and running.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison