Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: National Anthem  (Read 13446 times)

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
National Anthem
« on: January 27, 2015, 06:10:58 pm »
Is it just me or are others disturbed when 'artist' butcher the US National Anthem by singing it other then the way our country adopted it? -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: National Anthem
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 06:47:12 pm »
Well... our country was kind of slow adopting it.  Ben Franklin wanted to have "Yankee Doodle" for our National Anthem.  But then he thought we should have the wild turkey as our national bird and the long bow as our national weapon...  actually not bad choices... when you consider the speed of the single shot rifles of the time and an American Indian could have six arrows in the air at the same time...

http://controversialtimes.com/news/video-expert-archer-shows-amazing-speed-and-accuracy-with-rapid-fire-shooting/

We didn't adopt the Star Spangled Banner as our national anthem until 1916 (and not officially until 1931), even though it was written in 1814.  The music, of course, was British (To Anacreon in Heaven).  Up until 1916 we used "Hail, Columbia" and "My Country, 'Tis of Thee", which of course we also stole from the British (God Save the Queen).

I love to hear creative version of the Star Spangled Banner.  Here is one of my favorites:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZVKVND1acE
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 01:41:14 pm »
Nobody liked Chris's version?  I think it's head and shoulders above Hendrix's version...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 03:42:43 pm »
and why should we almost to the entertainer.
By my observation if they are not leftist or promoting leftist liberal addenda they will not be hired, by the entertaining industry, (hollywood) radio television, or movies.

I for one am very critical of what I see hear and watch.
the stars today are not stars they are entertainers and that is all except for the propaganda

Offline Richard M

• House Bee
    • Onsite Assessments Tas
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 07:53:41 am »
Star Spangled Banner is great. I love it.

Australian National Anthem (Advance Australia Fair) is really bad and if you want to hear an anthem being butchered, try watching AFL Grand Final Day - shocking. And I don't know anyone here that knows the words past the first three lines.

Personally, I'd have preferred Waltzing Matilda as it sounds great on the bagpipes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE0kyySqMmc&list=RDvE0kyySqMmc

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 04:01:00 pm »
Yes, Waltzing Matilda does sound nice on bagpipes... You have Anzac day and most people in the US don't know anything about Gallipoli... I guess it makes sense to a small degree since we didn't fight in it, but it was one of, if not THE, longest and bloodiest battles in the history of the world...  I never heard much about it until I went to Istanbul..
-------------------

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 07:36:09 pm »
Question:  "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda" was in the soundtrack of a fairly recent movie, I think.  Anyone know what movie?  It's a truly haunting song about the devastation of Gallipoli.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 09:13:55 pm »
The only time I'm bothered by how the national anthem is done is when they make it sound like a funeral dirge. It's a song of celebration.  I am not opposed to artistic interpretation as long as they don't make it sound like we should be shoveling dirt as they sing it.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 09:16:39 pm »
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 10:25:16 pm »
Is it just me or are others disturbed when 'artist' butcher the US National Anthem by singing it other then the way our country adopted it? -Mike

YES! 
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 11:40:16 pm »
I like it most when a member(s) of the armed forces perform it. 
Or a kid, maybe.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 01:02:06 am »
I kinda get offended when black artists sing the national anthem with all the things they do, but then I think it's their national anthem, too, so go ahead with it, man.  Are we all in this together, or not?
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 01:14:58 pm »
Had I voted in 1931, my vote for a national anthem would have gone to America the Beautiful.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 03:36:12 pm »
> my vote for a national anthem would have gone to America the Beautiful.

Ben Franklin wanted Yankee Doodle... but America the Beautiful is certainly more majestic...
-------------------

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2019, 05:49:46 pm »
The only time I'm bothered by how the national anthem is done is when they make it sound like a funeral dirge. It's a song of celebration.  I am not opposed to artistic interpretation as long as they don't make it sound like we should be shoveling dirt as they sing it.
Kathy I agree about a funeral dirge our present one sounds like one!
But galloping to rescue could be......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvgl_2JRIUs
pity it will never happen :sad:
cider
What's good for bees is usually good for mankind. Doesn't that mean sharing?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2019, 10:35:28 pm »
Kathy I agree about a funeral dirge our present one sounds like one!

IDK, I kind of like yours.  It sounds like a prayer in words and execution.  Understanding the origin of ours, It should be joyful.  The flag still stood.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 03:54:20 pm by kathyp »

Offline Anonimo22

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2019, 03:50:41 am »
Hurrah!

This thread proves that not all of America is decadent and evil still; and that patriots still exist. I salute you all.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2019, 04:31:59 am »
Cousin Ben did much for our country, and I salute him as a real American! However, only two mistakes come to mind about ole Ben.  1 the wild turkey is no comparison to the Bald Eagle. 2 Yankee Doodle though catchy for you Northern Folks had to lay down for The Star Spangled Banner, and no one preforms it like LeAnn!

https://youtu.be/zeYLSIDic7g
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bushpilot

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2019, 12:56:32 pm »
Many years ago it bothered me, but I got over it when I (mostly) got over my nationalism.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2019, 03:06:23 pm »
Philip

That is an excellent video.  Thanks for posting that.  I just wish the person making it had had a good editor.  I may have heard wrong but I heard the narrator refer numerous times to Fort Henry instead of Fort McHenry.  And there were several things in the on-screen captioning that bothered me, such as "...so proudly we held" instead of "proudly we hailed."

Sorry to be a nit-picker, but it is distracting to me when an otherwise beautiful presentation is marred by such things.  Before I went to law school, I speant 20 years as a journalist, most of the time as a copy editor, and errors like these just cause me to stop short in reading or listening. 

Just call me an old curmudgeon if you want.  That's the way I am, I guess.  If there's a nit in sight, I can't resist picking it. LOL