Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Queen  (Read 3157 times)

Offline RobboWA

• New Bee
New Queen
« on: May 02, 2017, 10:17:53 am »
(Posted this in the main forum as well)

Hi Beekeepers,

I apologies for the short notice and lack of knowledge. My neighbor has given me a queen bee as they weren't in a position to use her. My hive is young and does not need the queen replaced yet. I have raided my hive about 4-6 weeks ago (1 super). My thoughts were to make a new nuc with 2 brood and one honey from my current hive so I don't waste the queen and get a chance to build up. I live in South West WA and my concerns are that we are late in the season. My current hive is very strong and I plan to feed them during the Winter as well. Thoughts on whether I should progress?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: New Queen
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 01:07:36 pm »
If your winter is rather moderate, you could as long as you feed the hive or just give them another frame of bees and honey.
I once took a queen out of a failing hive in October with less than one frame of bees left on it. I put them in my observation hive on my patio and their numbers dwindled down. The coldest the patio got was around 45-50 degrees F. In December at the solar equinox, they had about a silver dollar size ball of bees showing on the outside of one of the 2 frames in the OH. She then started to lay and by March she had the 2 frames covered with bees and they swarmed.
It is possible. Make sure they have no more drawn comb than they can handle.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline RobboWA

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 09:54:17 pm »
Cheers Jim,

Thanks for the advice!

Clint

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 01:05:31 pm »
Cheers Jim,

Thanks for the advice!

Clint

Any time.  :happy:
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline M3RLIN

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 01:22:59 am »
You could put a queen excluder between the two supers and double your numbers. Just got to make sure the queens can't sting at each other through the excluder.

anything