Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Couple Questions About a Split  (Read 4853 times)

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Couple Questions About a Split
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2020, 10:19:14 am »
If the purpose of the split is just for more hives, either is fine.

If the purpose is to prevent swarming, ALWAYS remove the queen, whether after the cells are made, as she has now, or before they are made, as she had before.

A split without the queen does nothing to prevent a swarm. Removing the queen with a split tells the original hive that they have swarmed, and don't need to now.

Yes, agreed.  Thank you ID.

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2020, 01:25:24 pm »
Thanks so much everyone.  All of this makes good sense.  I have another hive that needs splitting as well, so I guess tomorrow will be "split day".  :grin:   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2020, 08:09:53 pm »
Thanks so much everyone.  All of this makes good sense.  I have another hive that needs splitting as well, so I guess tomorrow will be "split day".  :grin:   

WOW! Sourwood honey for sure! lol.  :wink:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2020, 10:23:00 pm »
I pulled the queens from 4 of my hives Friday.  So next weekend will be nuc making time.  This is how I usually make my splits.  The other way is just a walkaway split when I am being really lazy.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2020, 10:30:56 pm »
I pulled the queens from 4 of my hives Friday.  So next weekend will be nuc making time.  This is how I usually make my splits.  The other way is just a walkaway split when I am being really lazy.

Cao what do you do with the queens in the meantime? Did you go ahead and use them as a split? I like your method.

Phillip Hall

« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 12:05:54 am by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2020, 02:52:10 pm »
Well my bees must have heard me talking about splitting today, because they swarmed this morning!  :cheesy:  It was a really easy catch; they landed on basically the smallest tree in the area.  My sister and I just shook them off it and into a bin and then dumped them into a newly setup hive.  It took a couple of trips, because not all of them fell off the tree on the first try, but now they're all quiet and happy, so I'm pretty confident we got the queen.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2020, 07:41:05 pm »
Phillip

When I pull a queen, I take the frame I find her on(I rarely touch my queens) put in a nuc box.  Add a couple frames with brood and food.  And a couple empty(preferably drawn) frames.  And check back next week to see if she still has room.  When the nuc gets full, I either add another nuc box of move them into a full hive.

If you know which hive swarmed you can go through that hive and pull some of the capped queen cells for nucs.  As long as you leave a couple left for the main hive.  I've seen some hives with 20 or more queen cells in them after they swarm.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2020, 11:59:00 am »

If you know which hive swarmed you can go through that hive and pull some of the capped queen cells for nucs.  As long as you leave a couple left for the main hive.  I've seen some hives with 20 or more queen cells in them after they swarm.
I'm going to go in today and reduce the queen cells.  I failed to do that with a hive last year and it nearly swarmed itself to death.  I hate to waste the queen cells, but unfortunately I don't have any more equipment.  My goal was to get to 6 hives this year and I'm there already.   

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2020, 12:50:16 pm »
As far as equipment goes.  I have found, if you build it they will come.  You can never have enough boxes. :grin:

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2020, 12:55:37 pm »
As far as equipment goes.  I have found, if you build it they will come.  You can never have enough boxes. :grin:

X-2

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2020, 01:30:08 pm »
I'm sure that is true.  It's only my third year though, and I'm trying to build up slowly so that I don't get in over my head by expanding too fast.  I started the year with 3 hives, so I've doubled my number already!  :happy:

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2020, 01:36:55 pm »
I'm sure that is true.  It's only my third year though, and I'm trying to build up slowly so that I don't get in over my head by expanding too fast.  I started the year with 3 hives, so I've doubled my number already!  :happy:

Member you are right on target for your bee desires. My X2 was for my situation. I am working toward a number goal and it seems in my situation I am always putting more woodware into use. However, if you did have more woodware, say in nuc boxes, you could sell the nucs for a really good price. Just a thought.

Phillip

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2020, 07:35:43 pm »
My sister, my mom, and I were walking out to the garage on the way to do some running around (while observing social distancing, of course), and we noticed a swarm on a tree nearby where we caught the swarm yesterday.  I quick threw on a veil and popped open the lid on the swarm we caught yesterday.  Gone.  So my sister went and got the swarm catching stuff, and I went into another hive and grabbed a frame of young brood to put in the hive to induce them to stay this time (which aggravatingly took a while, since I wasn't suited up and this hive is queenless, so they weren't too happy with me).  The swarm wasn't high up again, but they weren't clustered nicely like yesterday; they were all up and down the trunk and not in a nice ball.  My sister tried brushing them off the trunk but it made them angry, and she got stung pretty good on her wrist.  So we sawed the trunk until we could bend the tree over and then shook them into a bin.  We got about half of them, and they started to recluster, so my sister took the bin to the waiting hive, and I kept an eye out for the queen on the ground.  And lo and behold, there she was! crawling up a broken off stem.  I snagged her in my queen catcher and popped her in the hive while my sister went to get the rest of the bees.  Never a dull moment during swarm season!  :happy:   

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2020, 07:44:43 pm »
Good job by both you and your sister.  If your queen catcher is the hair clip style, leave her in it until Sat. or Sun. They will feed her.  4 days should settle them enough to stay.

PS. If you and/or your family get down around High Point this summer, go by Beez Needz   ""beezneedz.com" and ask for Iddee or Wally. I live only a mile from them and would gladly meet with you there.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2020, 08:13:11 pm »
Never a dull moment during swarm season!

Good for you Member - making memories to tell your grandkids one day

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2020, 08:43:58 pm »
Never a dull moment during swarm season!

Good for you Member - making memories to tell your grandkids one day
Or better yet, I'll be beekeeping with my grandchildren while I tell them about it.   :grin:

Good job by both you and your sister.  If your queen catcher is the hair clip style, leave her in it until Sat. or Sun. They will feed her.  4 days should settle them enough to stay.
Thanks.  Oh, I didn't even think to do that.  Here's a picture of my queen catcher.  Do you think they could feed her through those holes?  I won't go back in and catch her or anything, just curious for future reference. 

PS. If you and/or your family get down around High Point this summer, go by Beez Needz   ""beezneedz.com" and ask for Iddee or Wally. I live only a mile from them and would gladly meet with you there.
Thanks so much for the offer, Wally.  You're a little far for us unfortunately, or we'd probably have been to visit you already.  We don't really tend to go out that way, or much of any way honestly.  If we ever find ourselves out in your neck of the woods though, we'll definitely stop by.         

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2020, 08:51:27 pm »
Can the workers get out when you catch them in it? If so, they will feed her
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2020, 09:00:35 pm »
Can the workers get out when you catch them in it? If so, they will feed her
No, the workers can't get in and out.  I guess I could have thrown a queen excluder under the bottom box to keep her in.   

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2020, 10:01:35 pm »
This is the one I use. The workers can go in and out, but the queen can't.

https://beezneedz.com/product/metal-queen-catcher/

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2020, 10:45:52 pm »
@Member
They should be able to feed her Member. I do like the cages better where the workers can come and go.

@Iddee
Iddee, I like your clips for more than one reason. You can place the cage easily between two frames because the ears are not sticking out to the sides as most of the plastic ones. Good stuff and your price is right! I will have to check out your beezneedz the next time I need to place an order. I would much rather support our friends here. Thanks Iddee

Phillip Hall
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 11:04:00 pm by Ben Framed »