Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: slatted racks  (Read 4634 times)

Offline bmacior

• House Bee
slatted racks
« on: September 14, 2008, 10:11:35 am »
Who uses slatted racks and why? :?

Offline bmacior

• House Bee
Re: slatted racks
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 10:24:42 am »
Guess I should've read a little further down the posts. :-D  Still would appreciate some input.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 10:29:52 pm »
Who uses slatted racks and why? :?

Here are a few of the reasons I use slatted racks:
1. Play for bees to hang out and not beard the front of the hive which restricts access by foragers.
2. It provides a thermal layer of air between the bottom of the hive and the brood chamber which aids in overwintering.
3. The bars of the rack act similar to a mouse guard.
4. The bees can use the rack as a work platform when circulating air throughout the hive when cooling, warming, or evaporating moisture.
5. I provides more space between bottom board and brood chamber, thus varroa mites have a harder time reattaching to other bees when they fall off.

There are a few more reasons, but my brain is tired so I can't think of them right now.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 05:05:55 pm »
I've noticed a huge reduction in bearding when I installed the racks. From the whole front of the hive covered with bees in the afternoon/evening to none. The other reasons Brian mentioned are good reasons, too, but I have not been able to visually observe such things.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 08:02:36 pm »
I have them cause they just made sense?  :?  I'm new so what do I know. My hives are both doing very well, even with my starving em & killing off a wheelbarrow full this spring..  :roll:  I read what people said & decided to try them so I don't know what it would be like not to have them.  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 09:44:53 pm »
Try a search.  There are many discussions on this.  I have used them, but don't have any cut down to eight frames, so I'm not using any right now.  I like them, but not enough to buy 200 of them in order to have one for every hive.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 09:54:31 pm »
I have read in the past of Mr. Bush and others recommendations and preference for top entrances.  Does the slotted rack in such a set up go on top or on the bottom?  Does it have the same benefits for a top entrance hive?  I have them on my bottom entrance hives, but quite frankly I have them because I was told they are good to have.  I have four hives, so I do not have the same expense load of a larger scale beekeeper.
Brian

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 12:43:02 am »
I have read in the past of Mr. Bush and others recommendations and preference for top entrances.  Does the slotted rack in such a set up go on top or on the bottom?  Does it have the same benefits for a top entrance hive?  I have them on my bottom entrance hives, but quite frankly I have them because I was told they are good to have.  I have four hives, so I do not have the same expense load of a larger scale beekeeper.

I would recomment both.  A slatted rack can also sub for a queen excluder in that is discourages the queen from going up but the workers will go right through it as the spaces are bee spaces.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 10:02:30 pm »
>I have read in the past of Mr. Bush and others recommendations and preference for top entrances.  Does the slotted rack in such a set up go on top or on the bottom?

When I've used them on a top entrance hive, I just use #8 hardware cloth and cover the bottom of the rack and use it for the bottom board.  The slats break up the draft so I don't need to put a tray in unless I want to monitor mites.

>  Does it have the same benefits for a top entrance hive?

Probably.  The brood still tends to be in the bottom and the bees still like to cluster under the brood nest.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 11:41:25 pm »

I would recomment both.  A slatted rack can also sub for a queen excluder in that is discourages the queen from going up but the workers will go right through it as the spaces are bee spaces.
Wouldn't this encourage buildup in the open space (usually around 2") between the brood boxes and the bottom of the slatted rack?

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 11:55:56 am »
 If you are speaking of using it on top, flip it upside down and it will maintain the 3/8 space.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda