Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Does this sound right?  (Read 1203 times)

Offline oblib

• House Bee
Does this sound right?
« on: May 21, 2012, 09:58:44 am »
 I'm now six weeks in with 10 new packages. I am using only 8-frame medium equipment with the frames cut to 1 1/4" so 9 to a box.  I also have a cutout from a tree and a small swarm. The cutout is by far the strongest hive but as I didn't get the queen they had to make another and she has just started to lay. Four of the ten packages are still in only the first box. The other 6 either got a second box this week or last.  As this is my first year I have no unused drawn comb. All but the cutout (which has 1/2 a box of capped honey in it from the cutout) are being fed.

Next week (7 weeks from install) I am planning on starting my inspections in what I think are the strongest hives. Any that have 7 or more frames of brood I plan to pull one frame of capped brood and attached nurse bees and replace with an empty frame. I will place these frames in a nuc box and continue with the yard inspection. When I find any with less than 6 frames of brood I will give one of these frames and pull an empty. If less than 4 then I will give 2 of these pulled frames. I plan to inspect the swarm last as it is the weakest and give them any remaining frames I have.

Does this sound like a decent plan or is it too soon to be makng these swaps?

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
Re: Does this sound right?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 12:31:12 pm »
This is strictly my opinion, and it's more a matter of beekeeping "style" than anything else, but I'd say your plan borders on being obsessive. In my experience, there are always colonies that go great guns, and others which just seem to be dinks. Trying to equalize them at the level you're talking about seems overdone. If I've got a particularly weak hive, I'll certainly add a frame of brood to give them a boost, but I do it more "as needed" rather than a planned equalization of all colonies. Sometimes a weak colony indicates I need to requeen rather than just boosting population. Other times, I leave the mega-colonies as-is because they're producing lots of honey.

So, there's nothing "wrong" with your plan, it's just a matter of finding your own style of keeping bees, and what works best for you.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 04:38:06 pm »
bees can be a good example of how equal opportunity doesn't end with equal outcome.  ;)

i have to agree with indy, why weaken your strong hives to boost hives that may or may not pick up.  + some hives that start out slow, end up going great guns later. 

if you have really weak hives you might do better to evaluate the queens in a few weeks and pinch the ones that are not performing well.  combine those hives with other hives that are not as strong but show good laying patterns.  you may end up with fewer total hives, but you will have better hives.

wait though. 7 weeks is not much time.  lots of things impact how well hives get going.  the queen, the flow, the temps, breed.....
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 11:51:52 pm »
The strong ones are the ones that will make you honey...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin