Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What signs do you look for to begin supering?  (Read 1764 times)

Offline DBoire

• House Bee
What signs do you look for to begin supering?
« on: April 20, 2006, 10:12:18 pm »
What signs do you look for to begin supering :?:  Last year I first supered May 1st because that what was suggested for NY, but I would like to be more informed.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
What signs do you look for to begin supering?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 10:58:52 pm »
look for open cells of nectar, when I see them storing nectar I put supers on, you will get small flows and large flows at different times, I have counted 2 small flows so for this year and the big flow hasn't got here yet but should soon because the clover is starting to bloom.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: What signs do you look for to begin supering?
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 01:10:38 am »
Question is not only about honey flow. You must prepare hive ready for forage have you nectar bloom or not.

First thing is to give space for expanding colony. It does not happen according calendar but surely according blooming.

When colony begins to get good pollen from nature it takes 6 weeks untill hive is ready to collect honey. It need field bees and home bees in certain balance. Otherwise colony consumes food for larvae.  

2 box occupied colony needs  6 weeks time to develope and one box colony 2 weeks more.  If you have 5 frame colony, it takes even more.

When brooding starts it takes about 4 weeks and you watch is it time to give more boxes for bees and brood.

If hive is too small to meet heavy honey flow it will be full of honey in one week and then it swarm. This is most difficult point to beginner.

Again when you have biggest hives they are ready to swarm first.

Bees need space for brood and nectar so they get not idea to start swarming.

I use to give  2-3 brood deeps and when honey start to come in, I put other mediums.

But even if weathers do not allow nectar flow I must add boxes for bees. And some day it starts fine week and flowers are ready to give nectar.

anything