Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What to do about Varroa?  (Read 5922 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: What to do about Varroa?
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2020, 02:40:49 am »
Been keeping bees over 10 years & use OA, glycerin & water in thin cellulose sponges.  Lasts over a month & the slow release of OA does the job.  Lowers my levels down to 1or 2 per 300 bees.  Cheap, easy to use & doesn't depend on temperature.   Used formic pro 2 years ago & lost 3 queens.

Lawyer Rick, will you go into detail as to how you prepare and use this method?  1 or 2 per 300 sounds grand to me. Thanks.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2020, 04:40:14 pm »
Van, it may not help you out any but I don't treat for mites.  Haven't since I started keeping bees.  I started with 3 nucs  and caught a swarm about 7 years ago.  Now I have over 80 hives.  I guess you could say that my treatment is expansion.  Last year was a bad year for winter losses.  Lost near 20 of 80+ hives.  Still better than the average losses.  Previously my winter losses have been around 10%.   I don't look for mites so I don't know whether I have them or not.  It might not help you out but I thought that I would give my opinion.

Thank you Cao, yes, does help.  Splits are a great tool, expansion, for controlling varroa.  What ever works.  I admire treatment free beeks.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2020, 04:45:50 pm »
Been keeping bees over 10 years & use OA, glycerin & water in thin cellulose sponges.  Lasts over a month & the slow release of OA does the job.  Lowers my levels down to 1or 2 per 300 bees.  Cheap, easy to use & doesn't depend on temperature.   Used formic pro 2 years ago & lost 3 queens.

Lawyer Rick: same ? as Mr. BenFramed ask?
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2020, 08:30:46 pm »
 I also am interested in Lawer Rick's method. As a maker of OAV guns that is what I use of course. Its also interesting that using OAV in this heat that the bees seem to become very hygenic and will pull the eggs and young larva out. This of course results in a lowering of brood population which also helps with mite control. Double edge sword though for those maintaining population for brazilian pepper. U of F called my attention to the brood loss in the summer heat after OAV and I confirmed on my hives.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline jimineycricket

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2020, 10:31:54 am »
       Just kind of curious.  When was this extended shop towel with oxalic acid method legalized??
jimmy

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2020, 10:47:26 am »
I do not believe this is a registered form of treatment. From what I could glean, Randy has a special permit for experimental usage.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2020, 10:49:02 am »
       Just kind of curious.  When was this extended shop towel with oxalic acid method legalized??

Just kind of curious why was it made illegal in the first place? If it was?
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2020, 12:39:20 pm »
I also am interested in Lawer Rick's method. As a maker of OAV guns that is what I use of course. Its also interesting that using OAV in this heat that the bees seem to become very hygenic and will pull the eggs and young larva out. This of course results in a lowering of brood population which also helps with mite control. Double edge sword though for those maintaining population for brazilian pepper. U of F called my attention to the brood loss in the summer heat after OAV and I confirmed on my hives.

Lawyer Rick: same ? as Mr. BenFramed ask?

Lawyer Rick, will you go into detail as to how you prepare and use this method?  1 or 2 per 300 sounds grand to me. Thanks.

Bump

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2020, 03:20:28 pm »
I run about 20% drone comb and I never cull drone comb.  I just move it to the outside frames.  I have a lot of combs that are entirely drone comb.  My Varroa counts are never high.  All my comb is either natural size or small cell.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2020, 11:52:58 am »
I run about 20% drone comb and I never cull drone comb.  I just move it to the outside frames.  I have a lot of combs that are entirely drone comb.  My Varroa counts are never high.  All my comb is either natural size or small cell.
How often do you test? Every year I vow to test regularly and every year I test less.

For varroa treatment I make a lot of splits after honey harvest (mid-late June) and try my best to raise next year's queens from my healthiest-this-year hive. Every colony gets cut down at least once. I have to feed like crazy to get them ready for November but they dont raise many drones when they're building back and I haven't needed to use miticides.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2020, 12:02:04 pm »
Matt have you investigated the topic  New anti Varroa Treatment. Started By Bobbee? If not is describes a mushroom that is anti termite. It is hoped it will have the same effect on mites while not effecting bees 🐝  I looked at the date on the video posted is was 2014 so it is not so new really. The question is what has been found. Anyone here know of this mushroom treatment? I did see a heading by Kamon Reynolds that mentioned this but I have not watched the video. (Yet)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2020, 12:07:09 pm »
I would also like to encourage you to read the article posted by TheHoneyPump on his topic :  Interesting tiny critters. 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2020, 12:09:25 pm »
>How often do you test? Every year I vow to test regularly and every year I test less.

I don't test.  The bee inspector who inspects for my health certificate so I can sell queens does once a year...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2020, 12:39:33 pm »

Lawyer Rick can you post the address to this method? I can not find. Thanks Sir.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2020, 11:35:41 am »
It?s outlined quite extensively on scientificbeekeeping.com read all the articles, it?s several years in the making. It is also not an epa approved method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2020, 11:42:37 am »
Thanks Amy. I have found most everything including shop towels, OAV, Formic, Apivar, etc. by Mr Oliver, except the sponge method.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2020, 12:36:54 pm »
Ben, it is a bit hidden, but here?s a link directly to the sponge. http://scientificbeekeeping.com/extended-release-oxalic-acid-progress-report-2019/#_Toc25995005

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2020, 12:40:35 pm »
Got it!  Thanks Amy!

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2020, 01:03:54 pm »
I would think 98 percent efficiency against Varroa Destructor would be good anytime. Randy is suggesting this is safely achievable, even during honey production. If I am understanding him correctly?

"Practical application: in our commercial operation, achieving 98% efficacy in preventing mite counts from building up during the honey flow makes us very happy.  And this for a treatment that is very safe to handle, takes seconds to apply, and does not contaminate the honey or beeswax.  The cost would be about 32? per dose via shop towel (not counting the labor involved in preparation), or $1.30 with the cellulose sponges (which are easier to prepare and apply).  In case you haven?t guessed by now, I?m pretty excited about this method, but feel that we have at least another year of testing before we?re ready to submit to EPA."

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2020, 01:12:49 pm »

anything