Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Contaminated, altered honey.  (Read 5438 times)

Van, Arkansas, USA

Contaminated, altered honey.
« on: December 16, 2017, 03:27:58 pm »
I purchased 2 different types of honey from a large company in Western USA.  One of the 12 ounce jars of ?pure, raw, filtered? honey taste similar to molasses.  A strong taste of molasses.  This particular jar of honey even has a color of light molasses.  The honey I purchased was ?Montana clover? and ?California wild flower.?  The Montana clover Honey is light colored and most impressive.  The California wild flower I believe has molasses added to the honey.  Both jars of honey test pure when added to water.

Now here is the question: have you ever tasted molasses in pure honey?

I have my suspicions that the California wildflower honey is altered, however I don?t wish to falsely accuse a company of wrongdoing.  That is why I will not state the company name and ask the above question.

In the USA, custom officials seize tons of altered imported honey every year.   Honey with cheap sugar additives.  The profit ratio of cheap sugars to honey is 1:10, that is cheap sugar is 10 cents compared to 90 cents of pure Honey so the incentive to dilute pure honey is very profitable for exporters that deal in tons.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
Re: Contaminated, altered honey.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 04:52:38 pm »
I bought some buckwheat honey in Thurmont, Maryland, on my way to Gettysburg, PA, that is very dark, almost purple,  and reminds me of molasses.  The store owner and his brother planted some acreage in buckwheat for their bees.  Some people really like buckwheat honey and some hate the taste.  I wish I had about 30 acres I could plant in buckwheat and set my hives right in the middle of it.  See if you can find some buckwheat honey and compare to what you're suspicious of.  Or pay to have it analyzed and file a complaint if it turns out to be altered.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 04:55:51 pm »
Buckwheat.  My favorite and very much like molasses. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 05:23:43 pm »
So Ms. Kathy, are you saying buckwheat honey taste like, or similar to molasses?
Blessings

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 07:11:57 pm »
Van - I just 'did a Google' - and here are some typical comments ...

Buckwheat honey does not really taste of buckwheat ? it is a dark-colored honey  with a rich, molasses taste.

Buckwheat honey's full-bodied flavor isn't for everyone, but once accustomed to it, some people fall in love with its lingering aftertaste. Its dark color and taste are reminiscent of molasses, and it's a favorite in Europe.

This honey is a very dark honey and also has a pleasant sweet taste to it. Buckwheat honey is pungent in flavor with molasses and malty tones and a lingering aftertaste. 

It sounds as if your concerns are probably unfounded ?
LJ

A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 08:03:12 pm »
Ok, Buddy, Sir Lil John, that answers my question.  I gonna presume the honey is the real deal.  I never knew honey could taste like molasses, however there are so many varieties and I have only tasted a few including that (medical Honey) Manuka(sp) from Ireland, I think.  Tasted like honey with a cough drop,,,,, about $40.00 for 4 ounces, high grade, certified and unpleasant to my taste buds.
Thanks Lil John.
Blessings

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 08:36:28 pm »
Van,
The honey I collected my first year was very dark. It had a good floral taste the first year. A bottle of it ended up on a shelf and a few years years later I found it and the honey was really dark and it had a strong licorice taste. Sometimes honey will darken and change the taste.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 08:51:44 pm »
You guys have got me thinking about planting some Buckwheat - as it's one of those plants I've often thought about planting, but have just never got around to it.

Question - does anyone know if raw Buckwheat groats from a whole-food shop can be used as seed ?  'Cause as a foodstuff, it's less than a quarter of the price of certified seed.
LJ

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 09:12:58 pm »
LJ, you'll need to plant a large field of it to be able to harvest frames (or combs from top bar hive) of mostly buckwheat honey.  I've seen seeds in some catalogs that were not too expensive by the pound. 
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 11:03:36 pm »
Thanks everyone, I am going to buy some buckwheat honey, the dark stuff.  I have never tried so This will be a new taste experience.
Blessings

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 08:49:13 am »
Van;  To me our local Sumac honey has a bit of a molasses taste, especially when first extracted.  It doesn't take much of the Sumac to alter the color and taste of Clover honey, so I would usually harvest the Clover in early June just before the Sumac flowers.  Some people prefer the darker honey, I think it is good also, but the light sells better. 

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 09:58:26 am »
Sumac, is this the poisonous vine Im seeing around these parts, in Arkansas?  We talking the same thing Ar?

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 10:15:35 am »
Yes, AR, I extract in June also,,,,,,, to avoid Bitterweed, I did not know about the sumac.  Thanks for the information.  In N. AR, my bees produce a very, very light, mild honey from blonde color pollen.   In July the Honey will darken due to different pollens, orange in color.

In this area, there is a red pollen, blood red, that fluorescent under UV light.  Do you know what plant or trees yields this blood red pollen?
Blessings

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 10:29:11 am »
LJ, you'll need to plant a large field of it to be able to harvest frames (or combs from top bar hive) of mostly buckwheat honey.  I've seen seeds in some catalogs that were not too expensive by the pound. 

I was thinking more of engaging in some guerilla seed-spreading around local field margins to provide a token ongoing source of nectar after the main (miserable) flow that occurs around here, rather than aiming for a honey crop - although that would certainly be nice !
Apparently buckwheat produces nectar 4 weeks after sowing, so it sounds as if successive sowings will be necessary from April/May onwards.  The only snag I can foresee is that many of the farmers around here rotovate their field perimeters (very much into 'neat and tidy'), and so the buckwheat may encounter a precarious existence.   That's what I'm looking for a very cheap source of bulk seed - 'cause I'm expecting to lose a lot of plants.
LJ

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 02:05:31 pm »
Van;  The only poison plants I am aware of is Poison Ivy and Poison Sumac.  I don't think the Poison Sumac grows in this area.

The Sumac that produces honey is the bushy plants that grow along the highways and in fence rows and produces masses of red seed pods in the late summer.  There are several different types, Smooth Sumac, Staghorn Sumac, Winged Sumac, they all produce nectar here.  The Winged Sumac blooms last here, about the first week in July.

I like the honey they produce, it is dark amber, darker than the Clover, with an after taste that reminds me of molasses. 

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2017, 02:43:24 pm »
Van;  The only poison plants I am aware of is Poison Ivy and Poison Sumac.  I don't think the Poison Sumac grows in this area.

The Sumac that produces honey is the bushy plants that grow along the highways and in fence rows and produces masses of red seed pods in the late summer.  There are several different types, Smooth Sumac, Staghorn Sumac, Winged Sumac, they all produce nectar here.  The Winged Sumac blooms last here, about the first week in July.

I like the honey they produce, it is dark amber, darker than the Clover, with an after taste that reminds me of molasses.

Don't forget castor beans.  Do they grow there?  The castor bean plant contains ricin, but also castor oil (remember that when you were a child?)

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2017, 03:37:15 pm »
Van
In southern Oz the Mistletoe pollen is red, stands out in the frame against the more normal yellowish pollens.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2017, 05:12:02 pm »
Thanks Beavo, yes we have mistletoe in this neck of the woods.  Way up in the trees, to high for me to see the blooms.  Yes, red, red, red, stands out in the frames but kind of rare, not very much which makes sense as mistletoe is rare in comparison to other foliage.
Blessings

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2017, 06:40:19 am »
What a helpful thread!

My honey this year looks and tastes like I mixed molasses into corn syrup. I don't prefer it, but some others really do! 

And

I have lots and lots of smartweed and other buckwheat-cousins around. More every year it seems (I think the ducks do quite a bit of spreading of "weeds"). I never thought to associate the two observations.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2017, 09:54:40 am »
The native Americans made a tea from sumac, as well as  naturalist.  The berries have a strong lemon taste that are a pain to chew but do have a surprising tartness.  They make a very pleasant lemonade and of course sweeten with sugar or honey.