Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First cut out  (Read 3215 times)

Offline Willhuntcm

• New Bee
First cut out
« on: April 27, 2015, 03:05:34 pm »
I am prepairing for my first cut out and would like some of advice from the more experienced on what to do and what to not do. I have 3 years of experience keeping Bees. A friend has 2 hives in his house.1 is in the eve and 1 is in a wall. Both are on the outside (1 in front and 1 in back). I would like recommendations on scents to calm the hives down while I am removing them. I understand 1 smoke and expose the hive. 2 Vac down the numbers. Using a Bee vac. 3 cut out the comb and place brood comb in frames and hive. 4 if possible locate the Queen and cage her also place her in the hive. If I am missing anything please add. I am also making my first Bee vac. please add which type you use and why.

Thanks
Curtis

Offline Candiebears

• House Bee
    • Candiebees
Re: First cut out
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 05:06:48 pm »
-Following.
Bee patient with me... I just started this March of 2015..

You can follow my excursions on... www.candiebees.com

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 10:45:43 am »
Honey B Gone is a tool that is ALMOST a necessity..   

http://www.honeybgone.com/product/honey-b-gone-16-ounce-bottle/

THis stuff can be sprayed LIGHTLY into areas you do not want the bees to go, and they will NOT GO THERE!!
  You can spray a bit on a rag and use a stick to push the rag back into the rafter past the bees, and they will not run away from you, but toward you.
   Remember to use this stuff sparingly,  Not because it is offensive.. it smells so good you will want to eat it, and that is another reason I recommend it. It will not offend or anger the home owner with a horrid smell through his/her house.

Beyond that...  do you have any experience as a carpenter? A little knowledge will help eliminate un necessary de construction, and or allow the home owner to make repairs after words easier..  In Example; cutting out sheet rock ON studs so another piece of sheet rock can be easily popped into place...
   Siding tools, saws, sawsall, bee vac, scaffolding, ladders, and even just a nice filet knife to use cutting out the combs...  OH, water!  Take a bucket of water! Often overlooked, but you WILL need it while removing the honey comb to wash tools and gloves.
   I recommend watching a few cut out vids. Look up JP's site for a good idea of what you will need and how to go about it.

39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline Willhuntcm

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 11:34:14 am »
Thanks for the in put
Honey B Gone is a tool that is ALMOST a necessity..   

http://www.honeybgone.com/product/honey-b-gone-16-ounce-bottle/

THis stuff can be sprayed LIGHTLY into areas you do not want the bees to go, and they will NOT GO THERE!!
  You can spray a bit on a rag and use a stick to push the rag back into the rafter past the bees, and they will not run away from you, but toward you.
   Remember to use this stuff sparingly,  Not because it is offensive.. it smells so good you will want to eat it, and that is another reason I recommend it. It will not offend or anger the home owner with a horrid smell through his/her house.

Beyond that...  do you have any experience as a carpenter? A little knowledge will help eliminate un necessary de construction, and or allow the home owner to make repairs after words easier..  In Example; cutting out sheet rock ON studs so another piece of sheet rock can be easily popped into place...
   Siding tools, saws, sawsall, bee vac, scaffolding, ladders, and even just a nice filet knife to use cutting out the combs...  OH, water!  Take a bucket of water! Often overlooked, but you WILL need it while removing the honey comb to wash tools and gloves.
   I recommend watching a few cut out vids. Look up JP's site for a good idea of what you will need and how to go about it.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 01:16:01 pm »
Look up JP the Beeman here and on iTunes. He has lots of videos that will show you ever step of the job.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 10:35:53 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=922gkjV3iqA

Here is the one I made and use. Very simple and the best part is the bees are already in the hive.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!