Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Water Source  (Read 1868 times)

Offline gdog

• House Bee
Water Source
« on: June 14, 2015, 11:14:06 am »
I have hives in a community garden (really don't like them there) and was advised I need to place jars of water at every hive. What I would like to do is place a five gallon bucket with holes in the rim and the top placed on upside down in front of them. Has anyone ever heard of the water being placed at the hive as a water source? Thanks

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
Re: Water Source
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 11:50:54 am »
Yes. A close water source can help keep them out of birdbaths, swimming pools, pet watering bowls.

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 04:20:10 pm »
I would have a tendency to secure the bucket well so that nobody uses it to water their veges not realizing what it's for. Maybe even put a sign on it to indicate it's purpose.
Cheers
Al
First packages - 2 queens and bees May 17 2014 - doing well

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 07:24:54 pm »
I've never seen them show any interest in water that was right next to the hive.  100 yards away they are pretty interested...

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Candiebears

• House Bee
    • Candiebees
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 05:58:46 pm »
I've never seen them show any interest in water that was right next to the hive.  100 yards away they are pretty interested...

This. I have several water sources mear inches to feet away.. and they still fly all the way across the yard to the pool. Maybe its the salt..
Bee patient with me... I just started this March of 2015..

You can follow my excursions on... www.candiebees.com

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 12:49:04 am »
They like the bird bath; the back side of the laid down basketball backboard; any bucket that gets left out in the rain - especially if it has refuse in it; overturned black plastic plant pot rims - especially a stack of them. Flower pot drip holes - the plastic trays under potted flower trays. Just about any drop of standing rain water, rather than the 5 gallon dog water dish with lava rock that I keep full for them.

They found a bucket of leaves filled with rain water about 15' from the hives. The loved IT."My" waterer is right next to it, but they just don't seem to care for it (yet), even though I'm now eliminating all the mosquito breeding pools I can find (like the bucket of leaves).

The best thing I've found is a timed drip line to the bird bath, to keep it topped up. (The birds like it, too). The bees chose it, and I just modified it to keep it wet. My experience is that you can waste time trying to provide water for bees, or let them decide, & then roll with that. I suspect they have a number of other favorite spots around the neighborhood.

Of all the things I've seen, I suspect making a trickle down a stack of black plastic plant pots might work. Or not. 
The bees usually fix my mistakes

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 08:17:02 am »
How to make water appealing:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beeswater.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 08:30:42 pm »
They prefer dirty water to clean water - friend of mine recycles the water from his hen house to a trough for the bees and gives fresh water to the hens. Mine use both the swimming pool and our small muddy dam
David L

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 09:28:49 pm »
Between the creek that runs about 25' from my hives and my pond that is about 100 yards away from my hives they don't seem to have a lack of water issue.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

anything