Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Strange hive constructing  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Paulbunyan

• Brood
Strange hive constructing
« on: June 16, 2015, 11:08:37 pm »
Hello all, i am new to this site and only been beekeeping for about a year and a half. however this is one i haven't seen before nor could find anyone who was describing it. i have a hive of carniolan and italian mix. the hive is doing well the queen is laying nicely. when i purchased the hive it had two brood boxes and a super however when i inspected the hive after moving it, the hive built its hive around the middle box when i found the queen she was in the middle. when i started looking at the bottom box i found that 1/3 of the frames on the bottom hadn't even been drawn yet. and the other 2/3 that were drawn had honey (uncapped) and pollen. the only thing i can think of is in one of the brood frames they had a superceder cell that was about a week into being made and 3 swarm cups that didn't appear to have anything in them so they were going to replace her but i can think of why they wouldn't be in the bottom box. anyone have any ideas?
Thank you
Robert

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Strange hive constructing
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 11:27:55 pm »
They will always start with honey at the top and brood just below and inside the honey. Then they will work their way down. It sounds like the second box and the super were added too soon.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Paulbunyan

• Brood
Re: Strange hive constructing
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 11:31:48 pm »
i am just not used to them living mostly in the middle box so i wasn't sure if anyone else had seen that. then again he might have just placed the second brood box on the bottom.

anything