Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
GREETINGS/TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF / Hello From Utah
« Last post by bmilesmiles on Today at 08:17:24 pm »
I haven't even got my first box. I'm just here to learn from you guys and be a fly on the wall. I hope to find a local mentor but don't want to know nothing when I approach him/her.
Tulip poplar is all bloomed out. What do they get from that? What color is the pollen that comes off of it?
I think tulip poplar produces both nectar and pollen, and I think the pollen is a pretty light in color.  Our tulip poplars are starting to drop flowers now, so I'm assuming they are on the way out. 
I found this and I am seeing a boatload of orange coming in and figure it's tulip poplar.

GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Swarm Catching
« Last post by Terri Yaki on Today at 06:40:21 pm »
Here's an example of what's been going on for three days now. None of them are bringing in any pollen and there is nothing in the hive to eat or drink. First activity this morning was at about 0600, in spite of the light rain and 58 degree temps.

https://rumble.com/v4w0svb-swarm-trap-may-18-2024.html
HUMOR IS A FUNNY THING / Run o' the Mill Jokes
« Last post by Salvo on Today at 06:30:20 pm »
Doctor John had sex with one of his patients and felt guilty all day long.

No matter how much he tried to forget about it, he just couldn't. The guilt and sense of betrayal was overwhelming.

But every once in a while he'd hear an internal, reassuring voice in his head that said: 'John, don't worry about it. You aren't the first medical practitioner to have sex with one of their patients and you won't be the last. And you're single. Just let it go, John.'

But invariably another voice in his head would bring him back to reality whispering,
'John you're a Veterinarian, you sicko.'

GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: Community Feeding
« Last post by Kathyp on Today at 06:27:48 pm »
Any of them.  Could be your own bees.  At my place, one of the worst problems I had was with Yellowjackets.  Anything aggressive and attracted to syrup, honey, or even brood, can be a problem. 
« Last post by FatherMichael on Today at 06:17:20 pm »
What bees are likely to try robbing one of your weak hives?

Do they not come from within 3 miles?
« Last post by Kathyp on Today at 05:12:31 pm »
Generally not a good idea especially when there is nothing blooming for all the reasons 15th pointed out.  I used to do it occasionally in spring when robbing is less of a problem.  Things like cappings can be put out if you have a good place away from your hives, but again, it can cause robbing.

Nothing will really cut down on the robbing of weak hives.  There are some tricks to making weak hives stronger.  Swapping its place with a stronger hive so that workers return to the weak one and increase numbers.  Taking a frame or two of brood and workers from a strong hive and move it to a weaker one. 
If you can ID the reason a hive is weak it helps fix things, but often that's hard to do. 

You sure can give it a try and it might work for you, but in general, it's not the best or most economical way to feed.

« Last post by The15thMember on Today at 05:03:06 pm »
I see several major issues with open feeding.  Firstly, you are not feeding only your bees, but all the bees within 3 miles of you, which just seems like a waste to me.  Secondly, by drawing in all the bees within three miles you greatly increase the possibility of disease and parasite transmission to your hives, which is the main reason I stopped open feeding.  I used to set out my sticky wax from crushing and straining, and I noticed such a big jump in mite counts when I did that, that I now give hives sticky wax in a modified top feeder instead.  Thirdly, by drawing in all those other bees, you can increase the possibility of robbing, because when you remove the feeder, all those bees are now looking for food at your location and will often target your weak hives.  Lastly, and the one that worries me the most, the timing of your feeding must be precise so that your honey and the honey of all the beekeeper's around you isn't laced with syrup.  And honestly, unless you are very connected to the other beekeepers in your community, how would they even know that what their bees are bringing home isn't nectar?  There is just too much of a possibility you could be causing trouble for others without them even knowing it for me to condone it personally.  If I was going to open feed, I'd be sure to color the syrup, so that I and other beekeepers would know if it was contaminating the honey.               
Built 10 more deeps and frames and 20 more mediums and frames so I will have enough woodenware when I go into the yard Monday.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
anything