Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A chilly day down south!  (Read 8847 times)

Moots

A chilly day down south!
« on: January 25, 2014, 01:41:13 am »
Ok....I know for you Northern folks this is laughable...but in Southern Louisiana, this is a rare event!

This cold snap closed schools today as well as shutting down interstate 10 and countless bridges!

Hoping my little ladies are staying warm tucked away inside their hives.   :)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: A chilly day down south!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 06:23:37 am »
Wow. I have never seen an icicle on my hives.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 07:10:32 am »
I've seen them on the inside walls around the entrance.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Dr. B in Wisconsin

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 09:56:10 am »
Up here in the real icebox in Wisconsin we dont call them an icicle untill they are the size of a baseball bat, I have seen them 5 to 10 feet long on houses. Time to man up down there LOL. Next week down to minus 22 F without the wind chill. Why do I live here ???

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 10:12:41 am »
One of the reasons they closed I-10 was there was a 27 car pile up because of ice.
Dr. B, I have wondered that myself. ha ha
It will bee over in a few weeks and spring will come again.

Joe

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 10:22:10 am »
dr,b them some tough little old sawed off suckers; try liviing in a 100+ temp wid 98 humidy and a cloud of nats you can hardly see out of with the mosqutos doing the dive bomming  that's south louisiana
to bee or not to bee

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 02:49:31 pm »
speaking of the cold from two days ago--- today is 61 degrees and then its supposed to be cold again this up coming week... today the girls are bringing in tons of pollen, but does this hurt them as far as burning energy to soon and running through stores? I have made a decision to feed today and am not sure that is the proper thing i should be doing. Have never fed them before although this is my first winter. What is the general consensus with this.... Sry for hijacking your thread moots.
Marshall

Moots

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 09:49:36 pm »
speaking of the cold from two days ago--- today is 61 degrees and then its supposed to be cold again this up coming week... today the girls are bringing in tons of pollen, but does this hurt them as far as burning energy to soon and running through stores? I have made a decision to feed today and am not sure that is the proper thing i should be doing. Have never fed them before although this is my first winter. What is the general consensus with this.... Sry for hijacking your thread moots.

B,
Hijack away... :-D Glad to see you spending some time on the forum.  

I have no idea what's the "right answer', but my game plan is to not feed...Unless I see something that makes me think its absolutely necessary.  I was getting a little panicked a couple weeks ago thinking they were low on resources and took a peek in a few of my hives. I was pleasantly surprised, they had plenty of honey...and as you said, they're bringing in pollen.  So, for now, I'm letting them do their own thing....We'll see what happens! Fingers crossed!  :laugh:

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 12:01:19 pm »
Thanks moots... I did put a couple of feeders out, but they wouldnt touch it. Guess they had to much pollen to bring in and could care less about the feeders. If they are bringing in plenty pollen, should i also assume they're also bringing in nectar or is there nothing producing nectar yet? sorry if that seems like a silly question...
Marshall

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 12:16:43 pm »
B,
I weighed (lifted up the back side of the hive) all of my hives yesterday. One was real light. I placed a medium super of capped honey just above the brood chamber and moved the 95% empty that was above it, on top of full one. It was too cold to mess with the bees. Opened it, switched them around and closed it up. Next cold day I will remove the empty super. If I didn't have that full super I would have to feed that hive real soon. That is something I try to avoid. Adds too much moisture. If I have to I will probably use dry sugar above the brood box. That way they are only using it for food and not storing it.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 12:18:34 pm »
My thermometer read -23 this am.  Not sure what the wind chill was. 
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Moots

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 12:37:00 pm »
My thermometer read -23 this am.  Not sure what the wind chill was. 

Yeah...I want no part of that! :lau:

They're saying we'll get down to 28° tonight and 24° tomorrow with a wintry mix and possibly some snow.  My guess is we'll have another day or two of school and road closures.  :)

Offline Dr. Cricket

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 04:25:28 pm »
You don't have to tell me about the cold. We're feeling it here in South Florida as well. I almost thought about covering up my screen bottom boards when the temperature hit a blisteringly cold temperature of 39 a few days ago. Brrrrrrr!

:)

Offline S.M.N.Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 07:53:05 pm »
My wife tried to talk me into moving to northern Minnesota once. I told here it was too cold there. It was only -14 degrees here this morning.

John

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 01:27:31 pm »
John it looks like you might have lost that argument.... :lau:
Marshall

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 06:50:10 pm »
Sleeting here.... snow on way 2-4 inches. Hopefully it will hold the bloom back that will be a good thing.
John 3:16

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 07:01:55 pm »
To all you southern folk, a hat like this helps:    :-D :-D :-D

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 12:10:21 am »
WE got mostly sleet today, an inch or so and then some snow on top.  On I 59 there is a pile up with 9 -18 wheelers and a few cars.  another on hiway 49 with 18 wheeler and cars.

Joe

Offline rjmeyer

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 07:29:54 am »
Moots...you would look good in a hat like that..probably be the envy of the neighborhood..lol

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 09:49:45 am »
Atlanta is closed from snow and ice today.  Had a friend yesterday was to my house to borrow my 4 wheeler just to go 20 miles and get his woman.   Then about dark I took the RZR out to go get my wife.   Georgia got hit hard.   The weatherman blew this one as the snow was suppose to be way south of us.  I just feel for the hundreds of kids that had to sleep at their schools last night. 

anything