BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Cooling Cabinet

<< < (2/15) > >>

Acebird:

--- Quote from: BeeMaster2 on January 17, 2022, 08:39:10 am ---Ace,
You need a cooling chamber to make the honey crystallize.
If creamed honey gets to warm after it is done it can go back to being a liquid.
Jim Altmiller

--- End quote ---
Is it refrigerated in the store?

Lesgold:
Hi Acebird. I think what Jim was trying to say was that the crystallisation and formation of creamed honey occurs best at cool conditions (from what I?ve read around 57 degrees) At the moment the temperatures in my area range from about 68 overnight to a high of around 85 of a day time. I therefore need the cooling to get the conditions right. Once the creamed honey crystals have formed, it will be stored at room temperature. I am still getting some of my early honey crystallising even though we have had days up to 100 degrees.

Acebird:

--- Quote from: Lesgold on January 18, 2022, 04:19:53 pm ---I am still getting some of my early honey crystallising even though we have had days up to 100 degrees.

--- End quote ---
If something crystallizes naturally it means it doesn't take a lot of energy to happen but the reverse does take energy.

NigelP:

--- Quote from: Lesgold on January 18, 2022, 04:19:53 pm ---. Once the creamed honey crystals have formed, it will be stored at room temperature. I am still getting some of my early honey crystallising even though we have had days up to 100 degrees.

--- End quote ---

It wants to be stored somewhere cool and definitely out of direct sunlight. If soft set is exposed to higher temps it can (and does) separate into three layered honey, liquid, in-between and soft set. Unsellable when that happens.
I often have to provide shade over my soft set on market stalls to stop this happening.

Glucose is your enemy for setting honey, honeys with high level of glucose set really fast. We have a major crop Oil Seed Rape (Canola) and it sets solid in less than  a week after extraction. In fact if you don't get the supers off fast enough it will set in the combs inside the hive and become unextractable.

Lesgold:
That is fast. I know that?s lot of the professional beekeepers put hives on the canola every year. I am experimenting with some seed honey at the moment. It took about 6 months to crystallise initially and I have quite a few buckets that have set solid. I am blindly plodding along to see what happens with the small test batch. I ground the crystals down for an hour with a mortar and pestle and then added it to some raw honey and mixed it. I am storing it at 10 degrees C to see what happens. Should I be stirring that seed honey at all? There is about 700 grams in the test batch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version