ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES FORUM

Careful Hunters and Beekeepers in Bear Country!

<< < (8/9) > >>

CoolBees:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on December 02, 2021, 12:57:46 am --- This one is a Grizzly...

To play this video simply touch the bottom >Watch on YouTube< on the designated screen below,  and it should play for you..

https://youtu.be/WdyjUxOaBSc

--- End quote ---

Yup - that's a Griz. Don't mess with them. Definitely don't wound one. You just leave them wounded, hurting, and they attack someone else later. ... if you don't go into Griz country prepared, then don't go there.

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: CoolBees on December 02, 2021, 01:32:21 am ---
--- Quote from: Ben Framed on December 02, 2021, 12:42:40 am ---... From now on everytime I watch video of a charging bear I will think of Coolbees... Nerves of Steel....

--- End quote ---

... HAHAHAHA!! I wish! ... years of practice (with the proper tools) helped me to win the first bear charge - but I couldn't walk (legs didn't work) for 45 mins afterwards. ... it's a funny(ish) story. I'll tell it someday.

--- End quote ---

Looking forward to it 😊 👍🏻

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: CoolBees on December 02, 2021, 01:27:39 am ---It's something widely known - locally - by biologists, law enforcement, and hunters, in an area infested with Grizzlies. It's been caused by the introduction of the (wrong) wolves. (Long story). ... I can't imagine why they haven't wanted to make it national news ...  :shocked: :wink: :cool: :cool:

--- End quote ---
Oh, is this that thing about how the wolves that were reintroduced onto National Park lands, from Canada if I remember correctly, are more robust and larger than the wolves which were originally here?  So the bears have had to learn to pack hunt to complete?  That's incredible!   

CoolBees:

--- Quote from: The15thMember on December 02, 2021, 10:59:11 am ---
--- Quote from: CoolBees on December 02, 2021, 01:27:39 am ---It's something widely known - locally - by biologists, law enforcement, and hunters, in an area infested with Grizzlies. It's been caused by the introduction of the (wrong) wolves. (Long story). ... I can't imagine why they haven't wanted to make it national news ...  :shocked: :wink: :cool: :cool:

--- End quote ---
Oh, is this that thing about how the wolves that were reintroduced onto National Park lands, from Canada if I remember correctly, are more robust and larger than the wolves which were originally here?  So the bears have had to learn to pack hunt to complete?  That's incredible!

--- End quote ---

Yes.

Phillip - I have to politely disagree with the conclusion of firearm/caliber choice in the original video. My personal experience - has seen what a 9mm and 45 acp won't do to a bear. I consider the 44 mag, with factory premium rounds, to be a "bear minimum pea-shooter" against Griz.

When a bear charges, your only target is the top of their rolling head. Their skull is so thick that bullets tend to "bounce off", or be deflected. It takes a lot of power to puncture the skull from that angle. A slow moving, very heavy bullet has the best chance of success.

Of course - people have successfully killed large Grizzlies with 22 LR's fired into the side of their head ...https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/bella-twin-the-22-used-to-take-the-1953-world-record-grizzly-and-more/

However - in today's climate, shooting a Griz in the side of the head negates your self defense argument - and therefore gets you (up to) a federal felony, 10 yrs prison, and/or $25k+ in fines - or some such. Ask the guy in Idaho that shot a Griz in his backyard that was about to attack his daughter - how that worked out for him.

So, when a bear charges - drop down to 1 knee (while drawing) to change your target angle - and shoot under their chin - with a really big ... something-or-other ... imho.

Ben Framed:
Makes for perfect reasoning Alan.   :grin: You probably remember from our previous conversations that one of my desires of priorities is to >someday< backpack horse style in the Rockies.

I use to read those Outdoor Life, Field & Stream, and Sports Afield magazines when younger, while growing up on horses. I have always wished to take that plunge. I suppose with the regulations and rules concerning self defense protection, a person had better be well versed in the law part of protection as well.
Thanks again for pointing out the gun caliber concerns as well as the legal aspects.

Phillip

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version